Saturday, August 31, 2024

Week 122 Photo Challenge: Shallow Depth of Field

This week's challenge was another photography technique. 




These can be harder as the subject is wide open. Anything can be a photo, so you have to self edit. At any rate, before I get to the pictures, I should probably define "depth of field".  The distance between the closet and farthest objects in a photo that is acceptably sharp is the depth of field. So a shallow depth of field is one where only a part of the photo is in sharp focus.  

I took lots of photos this week, but only one set really fit the challenge requirements. 


Kate: It Only Takes One


These are bottles of beer My Guy brewed.  I titled this one "It Only Takes One" because for me, just one will have me losing my focus.  I'm a very sleepy drunk. 

My Guy focused on nature for his photo this week. 


My Guy: Echinacea


The purple cone flowers have succumbed to the summer heat.  But I'm pretty sure My Guy is planning to harvest the seed heads from these.  His depth of field is pretty narrow compared to my photo.  

Grad Girl wasn't sure how she was going to handle this week's challenge.  She only uses her Android phone, so it's a lot harder to control the aperture.


Grad Girl: Liquid Gold

She did pretty well with just her phone.  This is the product from one of her reactions.  It's on the roto vap to pull off the excess solvent which leaves her with a purer material.  She's been having some issues getting her conditions just right, so when she nails it, the resulting product is precious as gold. 

We all hit our marks with last week's photos.  This week should be interesting. 




Grad Girl will definitely have an advantage this week, Queenie likes to sleep a lot. She's definitely cuter than any of us when she is asleep! 

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Each of these is an interesting photo! Close-ups like these make you take a look at details you might not see from farther away. I am the same with a glass of wine - just one is plenty!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Really great photos--I liked each one--and it gives one something to think about--hugs, di

Barbara said...

These are great. That’s a hard challenge. Looking forward to next week.

Donna said...

Great pictures! That card seems like the hardest one drawn so far.

Linda said...

They are all great! I do think yours looks amazing, it could be a commercial shot for a beer ad. It's really good. I tried to paint with acrylics in the 1990s and depth was a big struggle for me.

Sara said...

Awesome photos - but I like yours the best. Great job!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Great photos by all and a variety in subjects! It was fun to see the details in each photo. Hmmm sleeping- now that should be interesting.