Saturday, August 24, 2024

Week 121 Photo Challenge: Rule of Thirds

I hadn't planned to write photo challenge post this morning. Grad Girl is getting ready for her preliminary exam, so she's been really busy and working long days.  Getting a photograph isn't her priority.  She didn't think she'd have one for this week,  but she texted me one for this challenge after I'd gone to bed.




Before posting the photos, let's discuss the rule of thirds as it relates to photography.  Basically it's one way to set up the composition of your photos.  The photo frame is divided into 9 equal rectangles. 


To follow the rule, the important elements within a frame should be placed at the intersection points (red dots) of the grid. If you want more details there are numerous photography sites that discuss it (here's a link to just one of the many).  The rule of thirds is probably the most common rule, but rules are meant to be broken, some of the best photographs don't adhere to it at all. With that brief intro, I'll let you decide how well we each did meeting the challenge. 

We had some very beautifully lit mornings this week due to the few transient rain storms, I tried hard to find a workable subject one of those mornings. 


Kate:  Last of the Season

There are still a few roses blooming, pretty amazing considering just  hot it has been. The point of the rule of thirds is to avoid placing the subject in the exact middle of the frame. This shot has the subject centered on the two upper focus points in the grid.  

My Guy also took advantage of the cool light due to clouds and rain. 


My Guy: Silhouette

Oklahoma does have some spectacular sunrises and sunsets. All the drama in this shot lies along the left line of the grid.

Grad Girl has had one heck of a week. School started this week, so that adds to her normal lab load, she has to teach as well.  She found her shot on the way home last night. 


Grad Girl: Froggy 


As hot and dry as it's been in Texas it's amazing to see one of these out and about.  But I guess the apartment complex has a sprinkler system to water the grass, so its probably a great place for a frog to hang out in August.  Of the three photos, this one is probably the best representation of the rule of thirds.  What do you think?  

My Guy drew this week's challenge. 




Another photography technique.  In some ways these technique challenge cards are harder than cards that direct you to a subject.  It should be interesting to see what we come up with for this week.  

9 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh--my all are nice photos once again and Grad girl did herself proud with her last minute entry!!! The first time I ever heard of the one third rule was right after taking a short photo class about 16 years ago--I had done some really nice photos from taking the class and took them to store that offered the class to see about selling them and all the lady could say was--"you didn't do the one-third rule"--she was really stuck on that rule--and like you said some of the great photos don't really use that rule--(I didn't really know what she was talking about at the time--but later figured it out--I just point and shoot and hope for a good photo!!!!!!)
hugs, di

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I remember that from taking photography in college. Haven't thought about that in ages but use that principal without thinking.
I just love seeing you and your families photos. Do you use your phone, camera or both?

Libby in TN said...

Thanks for re-educating me on the Rule of Thirds. I think you all hit the mark.

Donna said...

Love them all!

Barbara said...

Fun photos. I do love the little froggie. Shallow depth of field is a hard one. I’m curious to see what y’all do with it.

Linda said...

I think you all met the challenge wonderfully. I agree, Oklahoma has some gorgeous sunrises/sunsets which I hope to experience again someday.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How fun and interesting! Yep I think you all three knock it out of the ball park. Great job.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like all of your photos, but Grad Girl's definitely illustrates the rule of thirds! It's so perfect that she has the boards on the building cutting the photo into (roughly) thirds. What I always think is interesting is that I prefer the subject of the photo on the left side of it - and all three of you did that. Why do you think we prefer that, visually?

Jennifer said...

All three are really great photos!