I can't believe it's already the end of March. Though I am ready to see the end of the winter cold and the beginning of the spring blooms. However, once it warms up, my sewing time is going to take a hit because we've got some around the house stuff that needs to get done once we get temperatures warm enough that we can work outside. But we are not there yet, so I can still focus on ongoing projects, all of which have deadlines. Even so, I took a 3 day break from all the ongoing stuff to play with a new project. On my NewFO list for 2013 is a Scrappy Butterfly quilt. I've seen this butterfly block in a couple of spots before and it turns out that EQ has it in it's library.
The patterns that I've seen which use this block are all based on template piecing, not one of my strongest skills. So I used EQs founding piecing option to print the block out so it could be paper pieced. I also printed out the template version of the block, so I could use those to cut out the fabric pieces pretty close to the the right size for paper piecing. This is a whole new approach for me, so it seemed wise to test out this process on a trial block and make all the mistakes on something I wasn't compelled to fix if it didn't work out.
Having managed to get the first section pieced, I was feeling pretty good about the process. I did have to unsew a few pieces as they didn't line up properly, but I got a good handle on how to position the pieces. After an additional bit of fiddling here and there, I finished the test block.
Not bad for a first effort. I'm glad I did the test block, it helped me work out the process. I felt confident enough to cut into the background fabric chosen for the project and make the first butterfly for the quilt. There was only one bit of unsewing due to poor alignment. In short order the first butterfly for the quilt was finished.
Not bad for a second try and definitely easier then using the templates alone. The back ground fabric is a very pale blue with a lot of white, it looks a bit like clouds, just the look I wanted for the butterflies. The antennae will be added via embroidery before the blocks are assembled into a quilt. The final layout of this quilt is still on the drawing board, so the number of blocks needed is still up in the air. I've tried a straight row layout and that looks too static. Something will eventually work out. Till then, I'm planning on making at least 12 blocks, one for each monthly color chosen for Soscrappy's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Now I'm only 2 months behind.
Check out more NewFOs and add one yourself to be eligable for the giveway over at Cat Patches. This month's prize is definitely the cat's meow!