Monday, December 17, 2012

2013 New FO Challenge

2013NewFO
 
 
 What's a NewFO Challenge?  Per Barbara of Cat Patches, it's permission to start new projects, without a plan to immediately finish them, thus leaving you with a nice list of UFOs for all those UFO challenges.  I've been working hard to finish off all my UFOs, I'm down to two that are older than 2 years.  What I've found as my UFO pile decreases, I'm not finishing as many quilts each year.  You have to start a quilt in order to finish it and I wasn't starting much new stuff.  I only committed to starting 6 quilts for the 2012 challenge and ended up starting 7 quilts, though not all of them were on my original list.  But that's OK, I should have a lot of finishes in 2013 now that I've got a good start on a number of projects.  So to keep the pipeline full for 2014, here are the quilts I want to start this year (in random order).

1.  Back to Square One Mystery quilt along with Judy Laquidara over at Patchwork Times.

Back to Square One


2.  Lonestar Quilt - I bought this pattern several years ago thinking this may be the only way I ever finish a Lonestar Quilt. The pattern is printed on interfacing, it's a flip and sew type deal.  It's supposed to be fast and easy.  (Pattern by William Reinhold)



3.  Jigsaw - Drama Teen saw this pattern and immediatly wanted a new quilt for her bed.  She choose some really bright batiks.  Not all the fabrics are shown, but you get the idea where she was going with the palette. (Pattern from Lehman Quilting, designed by Alyssa Clancy)





4.  Calico Cats - I saw this pattern in the July 2006 issue of The Quilter Magazine (they called it Fat Cats).  It just begged to be redone in softer florals and a blue colorway.  (Pattern by Lucy A. Fazely and Micheal L. Burns).



5.  Butterfly Quilt - I had such fun with this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge that it's on the list to do again next year.  The butterflies will be paper pieced from various scraps. 


6.  Vienna Stars - This is another quilt where I've had the pattern and fabric for a few years and just haven't gotten to it. So it's on the list for next year.  (Pattern from Calico Carriage, designed by Debbie Maddy).



7.  Oklahoma State Quilt - I've been collecting OSU and various orange fabrics for several years.  I plan to pair the orange with black.   Haven't picked a pattern yet, but have been playing around in EQ to see what might work.

 

8.  Christmas Angel Quilt - This one was on the NewFO list for 2012.  Other projects ended up taking it's spot, mainly because I've not hit on the right layout in EQ to showcase the angels. 



So that's my list for 2013.  Come up with your own list and join up over at Cat Patches

8 comments:

Lynette said...

oooo I really like that Calico Cats. :D

Barbara said...

Great projects. Of course, I love the cats! I'm so glad you're in for another year!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A lot of very interesting projects! I think the butterflies will be wonderful for the color challenge.

Teresa in Music City said...

Great projects & nice variety! I love the idea of the butterflies for your Rainbow Challenge!!!

Kate said...

Ooh, I have a cat quilt (slightly different) and the Lone Star on my "someday list." We should do them together!

Lynne said...

What a lovely collection! 2013 looks like it'll be a fun year!

Quilting Babcia said...

Great list - I'll be waiting to see what you come up with for the angel fabric - love it!

AnnieO said...

What a lovely variety of fabric and projects you've got on your list. They will make a pile of wonderful quilts!