Tuesday, March 12, 2013

15 Minute Challenge - How to Say It

My mantra since last Friday has been just hang on, once this week is over life will slow down.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure my grip is going to hold out.  I woke up with a killer headache this morning, I'm hoping the Advil will knock it back to bearable so I end up with more than gibberish in this post.  Which should be all about finding 15 precious minutes each day to sew,  



as well as, exploring March's fostering creativity theme of "talk about your quilting".  Most of us don't have a problem talking about our quilting, for most of us it's the reason our blogs came into existence.  We want to share our newest projects with people who appreciate the effort and maybe get some feedback or get help with a problem we are having (or think we have).  How do you ask for feedback, otherwise known as constructive criticism?  Here's a few suggestions:


  • Be honest with yourself about why you are asking for feedback. Are you looking for validation (ego stroking) or do you really desire input?  There is nothing wrong with wanting your ego stroked.  Just think about which you really want and write your post with that goal in mind.  
  • Think about the audience from which you want feedback.  If you don't want input from the entire blog sphere, you can get email contacts from most blog profiles and just use email notes to a few trusted or knowledgeable individuals.  Choose at least 3 critics.  If you hear the same thought from two of the three, there may be some validity to the point. 
  • Design the feedback process.  What kind of feedback do you want?  Do you want an overall critique or do you just want some input on a specific part?  Are you comfortable with having people comment on the blog post or would you be more comfortable with a critique that was sent directly to your email?  
  • Acknowledge and deal with the emotional side of getting feedback.  Don't act on any feedback for a couple of days (that includes holding off on any emails you might be tempted to send).  Some feedback, can hurt, even though that wasn't the intention of the giver.  Give yourself some time to work through the hurt and try to reach a point where you can be objective about the feedback.  
  • Consult the most important critic, yourself.  Sort through the feedback for what is the most useful to you.  No matter how valid a criticism is, if it conflicts with your vision of the project or the goal in question, feel free to ignore it.  In the end you have to decide what works for you.  
A Google search will net you a whole list of resources.  Here are two I found particularly helpful:
Finding creative time within the framework of last week's schedule proved to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated.  


There were only 4 days last week where I managed to find at least 15 minutes to sew or embroidery.  That's my worst showing for 2013.  However, last week really was a zoo.  Wednesday I had to work late, while Saturday was taken up with volleyball.  Last night Drama Teen had two volleyball practices and by the time I got home, I was just beat.  Hopefully this week will be more more productive.  

So how did you manage your time this week?  Did you fit in some stitching here and there?  Or did your life, like mine, pretty much take over?  



1. Thea
2. Lesley A
3. Marti
4. Amanda
5. Susanne
6. Julie in GA
7. Kate

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

12 comments:

Stella Nemeth said...

I didn't link.

My life has basically been out of control for the last three weeks. First I got sick. Not heavily sick. Not go to the hospital sick. Just go to the doctor sick because a temperature of 101 at 71 isn't something to ignore.

No other symptoms. Just two solid weeks of tired, very, very tired. And then my leg acted up and I ended up using the cane that has stood next to my bed, mostly unused, for the last two years.

Every time I tried to have an almost normal day I just realized I'd done to much and had to rest.

But I did, finally, get some sewing done. Just not all I'd like to do. Some of the time even 15 minutes just isn't there.

thea said...

Nice post. You're right about asking for help and being sure of what you're asking. I've always appreciated the help -- not always from bloggy friends. My color choices are sometimes a little off and with help I can get it together.

Hope this week is better for you.

lesleyworth said...

hmm...asking for constructive feedback...I've never been very good at this! Much appreciate the links and the discussion! Hope this week goes a little smoother for you!

Marti said...

Excellent advice! I've been working on an issue I want to blog about, and have emailed a few people about it who I think are experienced. I'll try to mull their advice for a few days, if they ever email back.

Shay said...

Love your pointers on seeking feedback Kate. I usually use a few trusted friends rather than letting my quilting questions float round on my blog and I find that works well for me.

I thought all the craziness in my life work wise would disappear last Friday but I was wrong...I’d just like to NOT be running from one crisis to the next . Its incredibly stressful. Maybe I’ll get my wish next week? Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way that you catch up and get some play time soon!

seabreezequilts said...

Got to say I find all the kid running around exhausting toom Tennis finals on weekend and then one sport will slow down for my son. Your Asking for Feedback is quite timely, I need it for my study so I will bookmark those two sites to have a look. I tend to just want my ego stroked I rarely ask for opinions about what I should do unless I am at a complete standstill. I usually have a picture in my head about what I want something to look like and it all goes from there it is usually finding the fabric to match that picture that is the problem.

seabreezequilts said...

Got to say I find all the kid running around exhausting toom Tennis finals on weekend and then one sport will slow down for my son. Your Asking for Feedback is quite timely, I need it for my study so I will bookmark those two sites to have a look. I tend to just want my ego stroked I rarely ask for opinions about what I should do unless I am at a complete standstill. I usually have a picture in my head about what I want something to look like and it all goes from there it is usually finding the fabric to match that picture that is the problem.

make.share.give said...

Since all I really want is validation (I love to hear, "You made that?") about my crafties, I'm careful to only leave positive comments on blogs. I've given opinions before when someone asked a specific question about colors or borders, but no critiques.

Barbara said...

Great points about feedback.

Kate said...

Interesting thoughts on criticism! One of my real-life friends runs a photography blog with a "Critique Me" weekly feature. Commenters are required to "Make a critique sandwich – something positive, something you would have done differently, something positive." I don't know if we quilters would be up to the same level of public criticism, but it's something I try to do daily - balance the positive and the negative.

Chris said...

It has been a busy week so four days isn't too bad. I only managed two all week. LOL

Lynne said...

A very interesting post in which you make valid points -- thank you.