Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Just 2 Charm Pack Quilts Blog Hop: String lights

If you've followed, or even just checked in occasionally with my blog over the years, there is a good chance you've seen one of Cheryl Brickey's (Meadow Mist Designs) mystery quilt along projects in progress. It's one of the projects I look forward to each year.  So when Cheryl asked if anyone was willing to make a quilt from her new book Just 2 Charm Pack Quilts, I really wanted to participate. 

 



The first decision was choosing which quilt to make.  There are some really fun quilts in this book.  I'm not the quickest at sewing together a quilt top, so I decided to choose String Lights because it didn't look like it required quite as much piecing as some of my other favorites.  That decided, it was time to pick the fabrics.  I'm not a precut collector, so I didn't have much in the way of charm packs to choose from. So decided to make my own charm pack.  Of course that pretty much opens up the entire fabric collection as fair game, which can be a bit overwhelming. Then I remembered this Timeless Treasures Tonga batiks kit I purchased back in 2013.   




I loved the fabrics, but not so much the pattern.  The smallest pieces are only about an 1/8 of a yard. That's hard to incorporate into a quilt pattern, so it sat because I wasn't sure what to do with it.



 

It made a nice set of 5" squares.  But the number of fabrics in the kit was just a bit short of what I needed to follow Cheryl's advice on how many squares to cut from each fabric to ensure you've got good variety in the quilt.  The kit also included a panel.  




It was excluded from my original set of charms. I thought it might go on the back.  The medallions are about 7" square, so a charm wouldn't capture all of the design.  Then I decided that the centers looked just fine as charms anyway, so those got added to the pile and allowed me to extend the range of fabrics.  Fabric A, the consistent fabric in the quilt, was still missing from my fabric pull. The black in the panel would be a good fabric A.  Thankfully with some careful cutting, those pieces cut be cut from the same panel. So I didn't waste much of the panel.  For the background I used a pale teal batik.  That did require a trip to the quilt shop.  

I made one change from the directions in the book.  The quilt requires hour glass blocks. Rather than using 2 HSTs place face to face, then sewn and making 2 hourglass blocks, I cut all of my HSTs in half and then matched them up because I wanted more control over the placement of the fabrics. 



I'm pretty happy with my version of String Lights, even though it's not quilted yet (remember I said my piecing is really slow, I did good to get the top done). 




Here's a close up that shows the fabrics better.  




It was a fun quilt to make. The instructions are well written and easy to follow.  I'm looking forward to making some of the other quilts in the book once I get my UFO pile tamed a bit. 

If you made it this far, the reward is a giveaway of an digital copy of Cheryl's Just Two Charm Pack Quilts.  I worked from the digital copy to make this quilt.  The digital copy works just fine.  Just leave a comment below. If you don't know what to write, share which quilt you'd make from the book. If you are a follower of Life in Pieces, leave a second comment with  how you follow this blog (email, Feedly, Bloglovin, etc.  Since it's a digital download, the give away is open to those who don't live in the states.  I will choose a winner next Tuesday by random number generator.   

You can check out the rest of the blog hop over on the Just Two Charm Packs page at Meadow Mist Designs.   

36 comments:

Linda said...

Those colors and fabrics made a fabulous quilt! Those batiks are wonderful. I love that pattern too. Nice job!

Linda said...

Oh, and I follow you on Feedly!

Sara said...

OOOh - I would jump right in to make this same quilt pattern. I love this! And I do follow you already here on the blog.

smithcindyk said...

The book has some cute patterns. I think the first one I want to try is the Betty quilt.

smithcindyk said...

I follow via Feedly!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is a pretty design, and what a great way to use the kit fabric up! I like the idea of making your own charm pack, too - that would definitely be a great challenge for me. I've been enjoying the blog hop for Cheryl's book, and like all the quilts. String Lights is one I could see myself making!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

And I follow you on Feedly! Thanks for the giveaway!

Anonymous said...

Love your fabric choices!

Jana said...

I’ve been eyeing More Fishies pattern but seeing your version of String Lights makes me want to try that one too

Jana said...

More Fishies are the first pattern i want to try my hands on

Julie in GA said...

Beautiful quilt top! That was a great way to use your batik fabrics.

Julie in GA said...

I follow your blog through email.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your color choices moved this pattern to the list of ones that I would make from Cheryl's new book. Thank you for including the thoughts behind your work and choices. It was helpful. Usually, I follow your blog by the pictures you post on the "finishes" type of weekly blogs.
Connie W.
c_s_wolfe@yahoo.com

Pam said...

I love your take on this quilt. Those colors and batik draw me in everytimr.

Debbie@dkohndesigns.com said...

I love your blue batiks choices for the quilt! There are at least four different quilts I would love to make from the book.

Kathie W said...

I have tons .of charm squares and all the quilts are beautiful. Kweather78@aol.com

Susan C said...

Love the colors in your quilt!

Kathy E. said...

Loving those blue batik fabrics! The richness of the color is just perfect for this pattern! I'm liking all of Cheryl's designs from her newest book, but seem to keep going back to Taylor's Square as my "current" favorite.

Kathy E. said...

I have just signed up for your newsletter too! I'll try to follow on Bloglovin once it's back up. It's been down for a few hours now.

Barbara said...

Looks like a fun challenge. Reminds me of a quilt you made a while back, but I’ve forgotten the name of it.

Jinger said...

Love your version and your stash creativity;)

Bea Ann Hunter said...

String lights would be my first quilt. With beautiful spring colors or Christmas colors. This book has sooooo many quilts that I’d love to make ❤️

Cheryl said...

Your version is fantastic!! Thank you so much for your support and for being a part of the hop!

Cheryl said...

Your version is fantastic! Thank you so much for your support and for being a part of the hop!

Christi said...

I would make String of Lights first. That blue is fabulous.

Christi said...

I follow on Bloglovin.

Anonymous said...

The string lights is the quilt I've been most drawn to make.

Sandra Walker said...

What a beautiful quilt you made Kate! It’s a design that I want to make too!

Anonymous said...

I would like to try this block. It seems to have lots of possibilities for creativity. Thank you for sharing. Devinmandaliciam@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

How genius of you to use the batiks that way. Thank you for sharing yours with us. As a new quilter, I'm not very good yet at pairing fabrics. I like the Taylors Square. ctopp(at)richhill(dot)k12(dot)mo(dot)us

Anita said...

All the quilts in this book are gorgeous, it's difficult to pick a favorite! Your quilt looks great!

Anonymous said...

I follow you by email. I really love batiks, and the color blue; love how this pattern came together!

Lisa England said...

I like to cut my own charms sometimes too. Your top turned out just beautiful!

Lisa England said...

I follow your blog on my blogger dashboard. I am amazed that still works.

Laura said...

I have really enjoyed all the variations of each quilt shown. I am thinking of this String Of Lights is perfect to showcase some whimsical prints on a dark background.

Jennifer in Indy said...

This is a really pretty quilt and your version is great - hooray for finding a way to use those lovely fabrics!