Monday, August 7, 2023

Back to the UFO List

So far this year has been mostly all about new quilt projects. That was deliberate on my part. I'd been on a new project diet for at least three years but the focus on just UFOs had gotten a bit old.  So this year my quilt plan had 5 new quilts rather than just the two I'd been allowing myself.  I've started two of those, plus one that wasn't on the plan.  Start number 4 will be Meadow Mist Designs Malted Mystery, one of my guilty pleasures when I was focused on the UFOs. 

This weekend, I finally gritted my teeth and pulled out the UFO that I just couldn't face after it was finished.  The background fabric for that project just unravels so easily. The back of Unity was just a mess when it was finished.  Cleaning up the back before sending it out for quilting was going to be a major undertaking, so I've been dreading it for months. It was definitely time to just get it done.  



   

As of last evening, I'm about half way finished with the clean up. 




These are the threads that have been removed.  It's a pretty fluffy pile, about 6" wide and a couple inches tall. I knew this one was going to take a while, it's a large quilt.  

Not all my sewing room time has been spent on the clean up.  The cable company showed up Saturday and said one of our cable boxes was causing problems for the entire neighborhood.  Of course it had to be the one in the sewing room that's behind my filing cabinet.  So we had to move a bunch of stuff to be able to reach and unplug it. That cable box was the problem, so all of that effort wasn't in vain. But I spent part of the afternoon putting the sewing room back together after that visit. Then it was back to the quilt clean up.  Fingers crossed I can finish that up this afternoon.   

Linking up with the normal Monday parties for the Monday Design Wall and Patchwork & Quilts.   

6 comments:

Sara said...

Some fabrics just ravel way too easily. You'll be very relieved to have this big task done.

Linda said...

Oh those tasks that we put off - looks like you've got a great start on yours and you'll be so happy when it's finished. I do love that Unity quilt, and you're probably sick of it - lol!

Nann said...

The more the units of a quilt are handled the more they ravel -- especially so with a mystery quilt since you're working in stages. But the end is in sight for sure! You deserve to treat yourself with a couple of new projects.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is super pretty tho! and you can limit yourself? I am not even being snarky - that is just impressive... I have no will power like that - but I could see that it would be a benefit!! Enjoy your projects!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are the Goddess of cleaning up the backs of your quilts! I always think of you when I'm doing that job (and want to give up and say it's good enough way too soon). My sashing and border fabric for the Rainbow Neighbourhood frayed terribly and drove me nuts. It's always great to get that job done!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Well done with this not-so-pleasant task! The back of your quilt looks new and happy.
Thank you for sharing this week's adventures, and linking up!