Monday, August 21, 2023

Changing Up the WIP Line Up

It was really warm this weekend. Plus the late rains this year have produced a bumper crop of ragweed, so my sinuses have not been happy.  Definitely time to stay in and stitch. It's been a good week on that front, a couple of projects hit major milestones.  Melodic Mystery (Meadow Mist Designs 2022 mystery quilt) is now a finished quilt top.

 



The colors aren't really true in the photo, the pinks are much brighter and so is the green used in the sashing and borders.  I'm happy with my color choices for this one and pleased that Melodic Mystery became a finished quilt top before this year's mystery really gets going.  This brings the number of finished quilt tops on my list to 4.  

My plan for the rest of the year is to focus on getting those tops to finished quilts.  I need to figure out the backing plan for Melodic Mystery, so it's moving off the active list for now.  I'd already found potential backing fabrics for the 2021 Meadow Mist Designs mystery quilt along, the Macaron Mystery. There's not enough of any one fabric to make a back, so it will need to be pieced.  When I opened the project box I found a bunch of subunits and some left over fabric strips. 




This is the backing fabric I pulled from the stash.




The date on the selvage is 2006. It's "Eye of the Tiger" from The Alexander Henry Fabrics Collection.  In 2006, Grad Girl was 7 and really into tigers. So I'm sure this fabric was added to the stash with the intent to make something for her.  Since the Macaron Mystery is mostly black and white, this will work great as the back.  I can get the width I need, but not the length from this yardage, so the plan is to use the left overs to add strips to the top and bottom.  It would be nice if I could get the back made, than both it and the top prepped for quilting by the time Unity is quilted and on it's way back.  We'll see how that goes.  

Another older project that's back in the active list is Scrappy Butterflies. It's a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project started back in 2013.  I've gone through the project box and figured out what the next steps should be.  More strips were cut and a few alternate blocks are in the works.




Fingers crossed this one makes it to finished quilt top by the end of the year.  

Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts.  Stay cool and stitch.  Looks like we've got another work week of high temps. Fingers crossed we get the cool down they are predicting for next week.  

10 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Great progress is being made in your quilting room! All the thinking and math that goes into created a pieced backing is hard sometimes for me and holds up the process. Great job on Melodic!

Julie in GA said...

That black and white tiger print will make a great backing! Good luck with your finishing goals.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Bravo for finishing Melodic Mystery, it's very pretty. The B&W backing looks perfect for the Macaron. You did really great in the sewing room!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your Melodic Mystery quilt top looks great! And the black and white print for the Macron Mystery is really fun. Have fun. :)

maggie fellow said...

the mystery quilt looks really nice way to go

Libby in TN said...

I love the feeling of satisfaction when I complete a UFO or WIP.

Barbara said...

Melodic Mystery turned out great! I like the combination of pink and green together. Finding your 2013 project gave me a chuckle. I don’t have any WIPs of that vintage, but I have a few that are pushing the limits of good taste.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Awesome Melodic Mystery quilt top finish!!! And that Eye of the Tiger stash find is a great one, too!!! It'll get put to good use with your Macaron Mystery.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your top is quite lovely!!!
and the ragweed UGH!! Because we are all mowing ditches and fire lines, we can't even open the windows at night as the pollen is so bad... I sympathize with you!!

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the finished top, it looks great!