Monday, May 8, 2023

A Bit of This and That

This week has been mostly odds and ends in the sewing room.  My focus is still on getting the SAHRR to the finished flimsy stage. 

 



The spacer border between row 5 and 6 is attached. Now I just need to finish the windmill blocks so I can start assembling the last pieced border.  

A lot of the week was spent on the fabric pull for an upcoming blog hop in July to celebrate a book release.  Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs has a new book coming out at the end of May, Just Two Charm Pack Quilts.  Cheryl's mystery quilt alongs have been a favorite part of my sewing plans over the last several years.  Grad Girl helped me pick the pattern to make. I decided on the fabrics, they are washed but not pressed. I'm hoping to get all the parts cut out this week. My hope is that Grad Girl will like this quilt more than the SAHRR. She asked for it again this weekend and I reminded her it was for her Dad.  Her response was he could use it for a few months, but it would just disappear on one of her trips home. (Grad Girl reads my blog, so I'm sure she'll let me know her thinking on this strategy).  

The only other project that needed some attention this week is to come up with a design for my guild name tag.  I need to have that made by the 16th, so I put some thought into the design and came up with this. 




This is a rough mock up in EQ.  I'll paper piece the coffee cup and embroider the steam and my name. The steam will come all the way down to the cup in the finished mini quilt, I'm going to leave off that top strip on the cup to reduce the size a bit more and the upper half will probably be cut down an inch or so.  It should finish at 3.5" X 5" or there abouts.  Next step is to raid the scraps for something fun for the coffee cup.  

That's what's up on my design wall and what's been going on in my sewing room.  Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts.

12 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh oh, there will be a fight for the quilt, and the proposed strategy could work one day ;)) Picking together the fabrics for the next quilt may help divert her attention! Your tag name project is looking good. You did quite a lot during this week.
Thank you for sharing and linking up!

Bonnie said...

It's great to have your quilts wanted! Maybe you can make next year's SAHRR for Grad Girl. Cute name tag. I like the idea of individuals making up their own name tag. Hope you get your SAHRR top done this week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your name tag design is a fun one, Kate! Love the look of your SAHRR, too - I can see why both Grad girl and your guy are wanting it. Grad Girl's strategy for taking the SAHRR home could work, though! I'll enjoy seeing what you're doing for the book launch blog hop.

Sara said...

I love your name tag idea! So cute! The SAHRR quilt is looking great so I can understand why Grad Girl wants it.

thea said...

super cute coffee mug. Can't wait to see the finish.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm curious about the fabrics grad girl helped you pick for the upcoming blog hop; are they cool colors like the SAHRR? And what a fun name tag. Have fun putting it together!

Barbara said...

Cute idea for your name tag.

AnnieO said...

The QAL has gotten so much bigger--your bright white and colors look very good.
Cute nametag design )

Julie in GA said...

I'm getting very excited to see your finished SAHRR quilt top. I can understand why you family members might fight over it! The design for your guild nametag is very cute!

dq said...

Hello Kate, the bird quilt is so beautiful. I haven't been visiting blogs in awhile and have missed so much!
Great "cuppa" little project as well.

Sorry about 15 min this year. I went too long without sewing to where I quit recording and gave up I guess. I miss it though.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Bwah haha - I kinda like grad girls thinking!!!! Your SAHRR is just amazing ! the pops of green are so cool!!!

Jennifer said...

Look forward to seeing your new quilt too - and great name tag!