Monday, May 1, 2023

Donation Blocks and Pinwheels

It was a busy week on several fronts.  I finally tackled the garage last week. The need to identify and move out all the flammable chemicals left by the builder in the garage in time for annual community clean up day collection got me started. Then I spent most of the week using the dust pan to kill the brown recluse spiders every time I moved something from a shelf or off the floor.  Buying a new set of leather gloves before I started that project was very wise. A trip to Lowes for spider repellant is on the list for this week. Spiders in general don't bother me, but a brown recluse is a whole different story.  

So after a very through shower, spending the afternoon in the sewing room was especially nice way to defuse all that built up wariness and tension.  I'm not done with the garage, but a break to get that spider repellant definitely needs happen before I go back to that decluttering operation.  The main sewing room project is still the SAHRR. 



    
The 5th border is finally completed. I'm working on the spacer strips that need to go on before the final 6th border can be added.  Just 13 pinwheels left to make before I can assemble that last pieced border.  

There wasn't as much progress on the SAHRR last week because I was mostly focused on getting the HSTs ready for the retreat on Saturday.  I managed to finish 4 of the 8 donation blocks.




These are the blocks for the children's quilts.  I got a start on the patriotic blocks for the veteran's quilts, but didn't get any of those completely assembled.  I have till the guild meeting this month to finish those up.  This is the first time I've done an all day retreat.  Sewing from 10 am to 8 pm is surprisingly tiring.  I came home and pretty much went right to bed.  

That's it for my progress this week.  Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those blocks. I am lucky and haven't really run across any of those spiders but I know someone who was bite by one and ended up in the emergency room from it needing medication. I think at least 2-3 times a year I do a fumigation (those little cans of insecticide) type of spray in the house and workshop whether I think it needs it not to try to make sure I have none

Bonnie said...

Ugh spiders. I'm very happy for our pest control man. He also cleans out spider webs around the outside of the house. Yes, a full day retreat is tiring. Those blocks are really great. Are they 12" blocks? I may have to try one or two...

Nann said...

Good to get the garage cleaned out of dangerous stuff, be it chemical or animal. The charity blocks will make bright cheerful quilts!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The donation blocks look great and for me the sewing from 10am to 8pm would be one thing but having a lot more social interaction with people while I was trying to concentrate and sew would be something else entirely. I hope you had a good rest afterwards. The SAHRR is looking fantastic, and I'm glad you are taking such care with the brown recluse spiders in your garage.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Taking care of those spiders in the garage sounds necessary, but definitely not fun! I love how border #5 looks on your SAHRR, and #6 is coming along, too. I would be exhausted from the that sewing day, too - that's a lot of hours! Hope you enjoyed getting to know some other guild members that day, too.

Sara said...

We need to tackle our garage again too. Now I have spider repellant on my list before I get started on that task. Shudder!!!

I love those retreat donation blocks. They'll make some fun quilts. I agree that the last all day retreat I went to left me exhausted. Your SAHRR is really looking awesome.

MissPat said...

Wow, that's a long stretch of time to quilt. I'm getting to old to last that long. I think those spiders would deter me from decluttering any place. Your SAHRR is coming along. I love the colors.
Pat

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

Such pretty blocks. I really like the fabrics you used. I’m with you about the brown recluses. I don’t mind most of them, but the poisonous ones are a different story.

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh, I *love* those pinwheel blocks. Does that block have a name?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

i would be running at *spiders!!**
You are so good to keep organizing!!
Love your quilt and your blocks are so happy!

Sharon - IN said...

Oh my! Your SAHRR quilt top is gorgeous! And the pinwheel blocks are perfect for kids quilts! So cute.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely work in progress, the SAHRR borders, and the new donation blocks. You had a very busy week, plus fighting spiders.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

thea said...

I am amazed at how faithful you have been to blogging and quilting.