Saturday, June 17, 2023

Week 75 Photo Challenge: Vacation

We've been lucky this week, the storms have kept the temperatures down most of the week. But it got pretty warm yesterday.  The temperatures definitely go with with the photo challenge for last week.  




Our family vacation this year will be a staycation. Grad Girl really just wanted to come home for a week, she needs to focus on her research this summer.  So My Guy and I will do a couple's trip in the fall.  So we all had to come up with ideas for this week's challenge.  


Kate: Unsupervised Vacation Packing


I need to thank Alycia (Quilty Girl) for the subject matter of my photo this week.  She's been making a series of Hawaiian shirt quilts.  We were discussing her son's and My Guy's Hawaiian shirt collections via email.  She suggested I do a fashion show of  My Guy's shirts, some of which are legendary at work (Hawaiian shirt Friday is a thing at work).  Many of these shirts would get packed for vacation, but he's also got a fun T-shirt collection that would be well represented in his suitcase.  I'm not sure which is his loudest, but the green jungle print and the red, white and blue one are both lead contenders for that honor.  

My Guy was afraid we'd have the same idea for our photos this week.


My Guy: Strummin' & Sunni'


I'll admit we have similar themes, but that's to be expected based on the challenge.  This Hawaiian shirt is one of his more authentic ones.  He owns a vintage Hawaiian shirt, they aren't as colorful as the newer versions are.  And yes that is a real ukulele.  He has several he plays routinely when he's not playing guitar.  

Grad Girl has to get creative some weeks with her photos. Summer research makes for some long days in the lab so she typically goes with things she can find on campus.  


Grad Girl: Vacation Plans

I think she nailed this week's challenge.  She'll be home for the week of the 4th of July. She didn't get to spend much time at home over the holidays as she was trying to spend time with her college friends, so she just wants to come home and hang out. Most of her friends are overseas this summer (one in India, one in South America, one in South Korea, and one in Madagascar).  That was why she made an effort to get to see everyone at Christmas, she knew she wouldn't get to see them over the summer.  

So what's the challenge for this week?




This week should be wide open on the subject front.  It will be interesting to see what we all come up with. Grad Girl has already lamented why it couldn't have been yellow or orange.  Why, because that's the color of most of the stuff she makes in the lab.  

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love the Hawaiian shirt collection - what fun! I didn't realize that Hawaiian shirt Friday was a work thing these days, but I have seen people with Hawaiian shirts (like checkers at stores) on recently, so now it makes sense. So glad Grad Girl gets a vacation, and wants to come home - that will be fun!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Those are some really pretty and bright-loud shirts--nice collection and glad that he continues to wear them--
I like this new set of cards that you are doing--they seem more 'down to earth' challenges--thanks for sharing them with us--
hugs, di

Barbara said...

Love the Hawaiian shirts. Sounds like a fun Friday theme too. I can totally understand grad girl’s desire for a staycation. Sometimes those are the best kind. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your blues.

Linda said...

I like your pile of packing stuff! LOL I would have added a cat on top of mine. ;) Your husband's photo made me laugh. Awww, glad that GG will get to come home and hang out. A trip in the fall sounds really good to me - that's something to look forward to after the heat!

Jennifer in Indy said...

Fun pictures - I like the sunglasses on the pillow in your husband’s pic.