Monday, June 5, 2023

Progress on Both Design Walls

I did something stupid this weekend, but I'm not sure exactly what it was. Whatever it was, it threw my back out again.  So I'm back to thermal pads and Aleve. Thankfully, it appears that hanging out in the sewing room is the best physical therapy. Several years ago I invested in an ergonomic sewing table, chair and cutting table.  That has paid off in ways I didn't expect. The combination of stitching, pressing and trimming seems to work the muscles enough to reduce the pain associated with moving.  I'm feeling better this morning, but plan to spend the day getting more physical therapy in the sewing room.  Fingers crossed I don't do anything else stupid while I'm there.  

My physical therapy efforts resulted in some good progress yesterday on the SAHRR (Quilting Gail). 



 

Three pinwheel borders have been assembled and attached.  The 4th border is in the works.  The strips for the next 1" spacer border have been cut, they just need to be joined and then cut to size. Then it will be time to raid the stash for a final border. My Guy thinks blue would work best, I'm thinking teal.  I'll see what I've get and go from there.  

The SAHRR is up on my large design wall.  Diatom (Quilting Jetgirl) is up on the small design wall. 



  

Blocks 1 to 6 are finished.  This has been a fun quilt along, even though I'm behind.  I've got a good start on block 7. I'll have to move the blocks to the big design wall once it's finished, I'm out of room on this one.  

Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts.  

16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what kind of chair do you have - I'm always in need of a new chair, I can never find one that I seem to be comfortable in. Hope your back feels better soon.

Sara said...

I hope that back pain goes away quickly. It takes the fun out of everything! The SAHRR just keeps getting better and better.

Julie in GA said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having back problems again. Take it easy and enjoy your time in the sewing room.

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

I’m sorry your back is unhappy again, but so glad that quilting is the best physical therapy! Both of these quilts are gorgeous! I know whatever you choose for the binding will be perfect.

Bonnie said...

Back pain is the pits. But great to know your chair and table are helping. I love that idea: sewing as physical therapy. Your border is coming along really well. Looks to me you'll have it done soon. Then Diatom can take over. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Quilting is the best therapy, for the back, and for the mind ;) I hope you will feel better, and I'm glad that you found your happy place in the sewing room. Both projects are wonderful!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so sorry that you did something to your back! How nice that working in your sewing room is a good thing for it, though. Your SAHRR is just gorgeous - worth all the work you've put into it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great progress! Sorry to hear you are having pain, but maybe your body is telling you to just stay in the sewing room?! LOL

dq said...

It would seem that your 2023 color is blue. That's great! My favorite!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm so sorry your back is hurting again. I hope that the sewing room therapy today does the trick. Your SAHRR is looking fantastic and I hope you have fun picking out fabric for the final border. And hooray for half of the Diatom blocks being complete; they are stunning together!

AnnieO said...

I have tweaked my back for no good reason more often as I get older--but the pain is usually short-lived, luckily. Love your border work and the pretty blue blocks. Blue is the color I have the least of in my stash. I would be hard pressed to make all the pinwheels you have got up there!

Barbara said...

Well, that’s a bummer about your back. Pain is so inconvenint. Your SAHRR quilt seems to be a fairly large quilt. And I love the blues in your other quilt. They’re both very pretty. Hope you feel better soon.

Kim said...

That is no good you have damaged your back again. Wonderful that time in your sewing room is helping to relieve those damaged muscles. Your SAHRR is looking fantastic and those Diatom blocks are gorgeous. Love all those blues together. Hope your back heals quickly.

Linda said...

Sorry to hear about your back, but how great that physical therapy happens in the sewing room! What kind of chair do you have? Mine badly needs replacing. Hubs says let's go to office supply, and I'm not keen on that.
Your SAHRR is so pretty, with that white background and blues and greens - love it!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh no - so sorry to hear about your back!!
but glad you found a way to relieve the pain.... Not making fun - but can I use that as an excuse to quilt more??? haha!!
Take care of you and heal up fast!!!

Marti said...

I looked back on this post to see what you did to your back. Seems like the older I get, the less it takes to get a pain in a back or knee or hip. Sometimes I just wake up with a pain.