Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Photo Play #10: Texas Wildflowers

Spring has been a really fun time to work on my photography project.  Much more colorful and interesting subject matter.  I've definitely been taking more photos. Which means I'm spending more time at the computer reviewing and critiquing.  I've not done much with the lessons lately. I'll get back to them when there's not so many pretty spring things to photograph.  

I'm still about a month behind on posting the outcome of my lessons and practice sessions.  I'm hoping to play a bit of catch up by posting a few Photo Play blog posts this week. The photos below were all taken in March on the trip to Texas to see Grad Girl.  March is prime wildflower season in Texas. The Blue Bonnets and Indian Paintbrush bloom all along the highways. The trick is to find someplace you can stop to get good photos. 

All the photos in this post were taken with a Canon 70D equipped with a Tamron 18-400 telephoto lens.  The photos have not been edited other than to reduce the file size for posting. The photos were all taken in either Waco, TX or along Highway 6.  



The yellow flowers in the shot above are known as Butterweed.  



   






I have lots of wildflower photos, enough for another post.  What came out of my critical review of these photos? 

1.  Macro photography is my comfort zone, but I did try to take more landscape photos.  My landscapes weren't wonderful, I'm learning you need just the right light to make those memorable.  Need to manage depth of field better, most of my landscapes appear fuzzy and out of focus.  Switching to a wide angled lens might help.  

2.  Indian Paintbrush are hard to photograph because some are so red, they saturate out easily. At least with my digital camera they do.  I played with the settings some, but still have some work to do on that front.  

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush are just beautiful together! I love how you can focus on the near flowers and blur the background.

Sara said...

Wow! Beautiful shots of the wildflowers. The closeup one with both the blue and red - could become a postcard!!

Barbara said...

Beautiful photos. I love the contrast between the blue bonnets and the Indian paintbrush. We have lupine and Indian Paintbrush. The blue bonnets are very similar to the lupine. We’re planning a trip to Texas next April to see the eclipse, and I’m excited to see the blue bonnets then.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such beautiful photos, Kate. The field of flowers is just amazing.

Jennifer said...

Wow, love your photos - I haven't been to Texas in the spring for over 20 years...think I may need to put it on the list soon. Love the pic with the bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes together.