Sunday, June 3, 2012

Stash Report - June 3rd

My family is back home safe and sound after their trip to Colorado with Drama Teen's school.  Both were happy, but tired.  Not sure what's on the agenda for today, other than DT asked to be allowed to sleep until she woke up on her own.  I'm sure photo viewing will be part of today.  They both came home with full SD cards. 

A lot of sewing happened while they were gone, but it's not really reflected in the stash report.  I think because I'm working on smaller blocks and two of the projects have blocks with a lot of pieces, so progress is a bit slow.

Used last week: 0.68 yards
Added last week: 0 yards

Used for 2012: 18.54 yards
Added for 2012: 161 yards

Net stashed for 2012: 142.46 yards 

A little out, nothing in.  Not a bad week.  Fat Quarter Stars still needs the backing cut and sewn together.  If I get that done this week, next week's report will look much better. 

I'm still working on getting my stash organized.  Shelves were installed in the stash closet back in April and all the fabric was moved out of the plastic totes onto the shelves.  Then I started ironing all the newly washed fabric and folding it to a consistent size to go on the shelves.  In mid April there were two totes completely full of fabric that needed to be pressed and folded (on the left below).  I've been pressing at least one piece of yardage before I start sewing for the day.  It's made a dent. 


As of yesterday, the "to be ironed pile" is down to one tote which is about one third full (on the right above).  So not bad progress.  It's been nice to get all the fabric pressed, folded, sorted and onto the shelves. Now I can see what's in the stash without pawing through all those totes.  There is still a lot of organizing to do.  It's been a slow process, but it's getting there. 

That's it for my stash report this week.  I'm linking up with Judy over at Patchwork Times this week. 

11 comments:

Charlene S said...

I also began organizing but didn't finish.

Shay said...

I spent some time cutting and ironing fabric this weekend to send far away. I was completely over it by the time I finished.

And Im going to have a little brag . I de-stashed 8 yards this week making a back and cutting a front. Im doing the happy dance !

Kate said...

Yay for working down the organizing tote! And a little bit down + nothing added = stash busting, slowly but surely!

SpinningStar said...

Great job - the pressing and folding can take a while but it will be worth it in the long run. Much easier to be inspried to quilt when you can see it all neatly arranged and ready for the picking.

liz

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Way to go on the fabric progress! It's a big job no matter what size your stash is. :)

Larri said...

Ironing/Organizing Fabric is on my to-do list this week. Great job on wheedling down your stack! Hope Drama Teen got some good rest. :)

Happy Sunday!

scraphappy said...

Keep up the great work on ironing and organizing. Just think of how nice it will be to have a stash of beautiful folded yardage waiting to be turned into quilts.

Dar said...

You are doing well on organizing your stash. I should stop and do mine too, but I have too many quilts to get quilted for others right now. I'm lucky to get a little time to make a graduation quilt this time of year. I know you will love seeing all your fabric on those new shelves. Keep up the good work.

Lynne said...

What a good idea to press a liittle before you sew - makes the task less irksome! DD and I added to the stash yesterday so I can see some more washing and ironing in the near future.

thea said...

What a great idea of how to get your stash ironed and folded.

Chris said...

I quit tracking my stash usage a while ago. It was hopeless.