Sunday, June 17, 2012

Stash Report - June 17th

I managed to catch some type of stomach bug last evening, so probably not much going on for me today.  Drama Teen is finishing up an on line application for a national science project competition today, but that shouldn't be too hard to manage if she needs help with the final document uploads.  My Guy is off on a bike ride this morning.  That is how he wanted to start his Father's Day.  Thankfully he prefers the day to be low key, so I'm not ruining any big plans by being a bit off this morning.  My plan at the moment is to just take it easy for a while and hope I feel better later.
Not a lot of sewing this week due to some evening work events, plus I spent one evening working on a layout for the RWB Star blocks.  I now have a rough idea of the layout I want for those blocks and know how many I need to make.  More on that tomorow. There was only two nights of any seam stitching, so this week's stash numbers look a bit anemic.

Used last week: 0.45 yards
Added last week:  0 yards

Used for 2012: 19.44 yards
Added for 2012:  167.25 yards

Net stashed for 2012:  147.81 yards

At least nothing came in last week.  I'm closing in on 20 yards out for the year, so not horrible.  Still the amount out is about 12 yards too low to reach my target of 75 yards out this year.  I still have one back that I need to piece so that should help a little. 

The stash organization is moving along, slowly, but moving.  I finished ironing all that pre-washed fabric sitting in bins back in April.

  
All that fabric now resides on the shelves in the closet, neatly folded where I can see what's sitting in the stash.  What's next?  Finish organizing the shelves.  When I got the shelves back in December, I just moved the fabric from the plastic totes to the shelves. The fabric in the totes wasn't sorted or folded to a consistent size.  In order to clear the totes and get those out of the closet, I ended up just shoving the fabric onto the shelves. 



The fabric that's folded and stacked neatly is what has been pressed since April.  The bottom shelf and a half of fabric on the left hand unit plus the bottom 2 and half shelves of fabric on the right hand unit need to be refolded.  My plan is to tackle that chore using the same strategy utilized to get all the fabric pressed.  Refold and possibly press, one piece of yardage every time I work in my sewing room.  It's not fast, but tackling it that way leaves me time to sew, but still make progress on the stash organization without being overwhelmed.  

That's it for me this week.  Check out all the other stash management efforts posted over at Patchwork Times.    

9 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

rest and feel better!

thea said...

hope you're feeling better soon.

Barbara said...

Well, look at you getting organized. You've been busy! Feel better soon.

Amy said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon. Organizing takes time. Bravo on the progress you made. I worked on mine a few weeks ago and it is nice to see what I have on hand. And a little frightening too. LOL

Kate said...

Folding a piece at a time might take a while, but it keeps it from being overwhelming! After all, it only took 6ish weeks to tackle that bin! I hope you feel better soon!

Elly D said...

WOW! These mugs are looking wonderful!
I hope you get rid of that tummy bug soon and are feeling better.

Shay said...

Thats a lot of pressing and folding Kate! Well done.

Angie in SoCal said...

Every little bit helps toward our goals. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lynne said...

Get better soon.

Don't you worry that having it out on open shelves means it will become dusty and open to insect attack? Just wondering!