Monday, January 31, 2011

Design Wall Monday - January 31st

Not much sewing this weekend.  Kiddo had basketball and swimming.  When I did finally make it to my sewing room, my sewing machine decided to crash.  Looks like a trip to the repair guy is in my future as soon as the roads are clear from this winter storm that is supposed to dump 8 to 12 inches on us starting tonight.  Thankfully I still have my old machine as a backup!

The blocks for the Seeing Stars BOM are sewn together and I've started sewing the pieced border on.  But since you've seen pictures of that quilt for the last two weeks, I'm going to skip a picture this week.  It's hard to tell there's been much progress. 

The "leaders and enders" project, the purple and yellow scrap quilt has been progressing.  As of this week I've completed almost half of the blocks needed. 


I like the diagonal pattern with the lights and the darks.  Still, I won't decide on a final layout until I finish all the blocks.  I'm glad I pulled this UFO out of the closet and gave it another chance.  It's nice to have something so bright on the design wall during the winter months. 

I also finished up block 6 of the Moose on the Porch Layer Cake Quilt Along.



I'm not loving the quilt along blocks.  Maybe because the fabrics are not my usual style. I bought them to complete a fundraising quilt for the school.  I did the Layer Cake Quilt Along so I'd use them up and get them out of the stash.  I'm trying to reserve judgement until all the blocks are completed.  There's one or two I may have to take a second stab at if I have any fabric left after block 12. 

So what's up on your design wall?  Check out Judy's Patchwork Times for other quilty progress reports. 

13 comments:

Shay said...

How awful your sewing machine is unwell. I'm praying for a speedy recovery!

Gotta say - I love the quiltalong blocks. That fabric is GORGEOUS!

Jerzydeb said...

Sorry to hear about the sewing machine - mine has also been acting up - but like you I have a spare (or two, or three...) Love the purple and yellow quilt - 2 of my favorite colors.

My kids (all 4) also swim, and while I usually don't mind the 2 hour practices (I just wish all 4 swam during the same 2 hours) I really wish there was a way to quilt during the 3 day long 12 hour day swim meets !

Wanted to thank you for the pattern you shared last week. I've made the first couple of blocks - I can't wait to finish this one !

Tamera said...

My sewing machine has been acting up a little, too, but I have several "spares," lol.

Hope yours is feeling better soon.

Kathie said...

good luck with the coming storm. A back up sewing machine is definitely a necessity.

Quilter Kathy said...

I really like your purple and yellow blocks and the variety of lights, mediums and darks that you have for both colours.

Vicki H. said...

Your blocks are great. I have a layer cake that I sewed up and I still am reserving judgement on. Yep a UFO! Stretching the horizons sometimes makes me reserve judgment on the quilt but in the end it is usually great.

Karen S said...

I really like your purple and yellow blocks.

Chris said...

Your purple and yellow blocks are beautiful. Sorry your sewing machine crashed, but at least you have a back up until the roads clear :)

Denise :) said...

Purple and yellow is one of my favorite combinations! :)

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Love your purple and yellow UFO. Great blocks and love how they seem to vibrate. Definitely fun to look at all year round:)

Alycia said...

I really like that purple and yellow quilt!

Danielle said...

You've got a great range of purples, and I love how you mated them to yellow. It's a very pretty quilt!

Marg said...

Sorry to hear your sewing machine is feeling poorly, hope it improves very soon! It's good that you have a back up.
I love the purple and yellow quilt, so bright and cheerful.