Monday, January 10, 2011

Design Wall Monday - January 10th

Is it Monday already?  A lot of running this weekend.  I decided at some point on Saturday that I've sat on more bleachers as a parent then I ever did as a student!  Unfortunately this weekend isn't an isolated event, we're pretty booked until about the middle of February.  Consequently, not much time is being spent in the sewing room.  I did get started on the HSTs for the Seeing Stars BOM border this weekend.  



I like how this quilt is coming together even though I've had to make a lot of changes to the proposed final design.  This quilt was intended to be made completely from scraps.  The first proposed finished version used the dark blue in the border. 


But there isn't enough of that dark blue to make the pieced border.  Plus, I want to make the quilt a bit bigger, so a couple more borders have been added.  This is the proposed final version (at least for now). 


I have verified that there is enough fabric to finish the quilt as proposed (assuming that one can trust EQ7's fabric estimates). The goal is to finish piecing the top by the end of the month. 

What's up on your design wall?  Check out Judy's Patchwork Times to see what's up else where. 

18 comments:

Donna said...

What a great quilt! Love the colors. How accurate is EQ7? I have but haven't done much with it.

Kathie said...

beautiful and some of my favorite colors. I am sure the kids will remember how mom was always there to cheer them on.

Jo said...

I have always wanted to make a blue and yellow quilt. Your's is wonderful.

Diane said...

great quilt-I've heard others say EQ is generous with fabric amounts so hopefully that's true for you.

Joanne said...

Love the quilt layouts. Either on works for me. I have always told my kids that I have a "backside condition" because of them and all of their sports and school-related activities. It's called "bleacher butt syndrome." Of course they are 25 and 23 now, but I still use it as my excuse. :-)

Alycia said...

That is just spectacular!! I love the stars. And I sympathize with you on the bench warming... did that all day sunday too....

Chris said...

It is Monday already!! I love your proposed finished look. The plain border will enhance the stunning center :)

SpinningStar said...

Gtrat looking quilt and I like your porposed borders.

Liz

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous! I have some blue and yellow star blocks somewhere...must look for them 'cause your quilt looks amazing!

AnnieO said...

I remember a lot of bleacher sitting---having three kids means a lot of driving and sitting and watching!

Loving the yellow and blue--hope your final design makes it to final stage. I think EQ is generous with fabric measurements, isn't it?

Jennifer Woo said...

Nice!! Loved the colors. I made a yellow and blue star quilt for my daughter years ago and she uses it on her bed at college. She recently requested a couch quilt and when I suggested she use her star quilt or Chi Omega quilts she said "No way Mom, no one is allowed to touch those, they are too nice". Now I have to make a "not nice" quilt. LOL I also spent years on bleachers and will again during Lacrosse season. I bring a hand quilting or piecing project to keep me busy!!

Cathy said...

LOVE, love love it. Such a classic colour combination, that always looks good! Fabulous quilt.

scraphappy said...

What a great quilt. I love the border, even if you didn't have enough of the darker blue, it is going to look great.

Shay said...

Looking fantastic Kate!

Gari in AL said...

Isn't that the way a quilt is supposed to be made, adjusting the original plan as you go? At least that is how it is done around here. I really like your latest version of the quilt, it will be quite lovely.

Vivian said...

Love this quilt!!!!

Brenda said...

Love what you have come up with

Peggy said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love working with yellows and blues together....cheerful and uplifting colors.