Monday, January 3, 2011

Design Wall Monday - Jan 3rd

Today is my last day of holiday vacation (Corporate decided today was our day off for New Years).  I'm hoping to spend most of it in my sewing room.  Kiddo is back to school today.  She's up and scowling at her bowl of cereal this morning.  I'm sure I'll get up tomorrow and scowl at my bowl of cereal too!  It's going to be hard to go back to work after 2 weeks off.  I'm not going to think about it till tomorrow. 

On to Design Wall Monday.  Even being off work all week, I don't seem to have much to show for it on the design wall.  I finished block 4 of the Layer Cake Quilt Along and have started on block 5. 

Layer Cake Quilt Along Block 4


Layer Cake Quilt Along Block 5

 I'm not sure I really like block 5. Trying to use 4 fabrics was worse, so I just stuck with 2. 

I had hoped to finish up 2 other quilts which just needed binding during my holiday vacation.  I've got the binding sewn on the front of one and have started had sewing it to the back. 


I've got about 2 more sides left to sew down before it's finished.  This one will probably be my first finish of 2011.  The other quilt has to be trimmed and squared before I can start binding it.  Maybe I'll get to that one later this month. 

For 2011, may your design wall never be empty, may you finish all that you start, and may all your UFOs become completed projects.  Yeah, I know, not likely, but you have a dream a little.  It's the beginning of a new year, anything is  possible!

Hop over to Judy's Patchwork Times and check out the other design walls. 

11 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

That's a great "quilter's toast" you wrote in your last paragraph...love it! I also love your photo of the binding...that's my favorite part, so it makes me want to reach in and pick up your quilt and start stitching!

Chris said...

Enjoy your last day off!! We are back to the grind today.

I still need to catch up on my layer cake blocks. I plan to do block 3 tonight.

Kathie said...

Enjoy your day off with the kids in school. My daughter also was frowning at her breakfast this morning. I sure wouldn't want to be their first period teacher today.

SpinningStar said...

Have fun sewing today and good luck tomorrow.

I agree on the block 5 - a bit too busy for me. Do you have anything that reads more solid to use for one of the fabrics?

Liz

Teaquilts said...

Your block 4 is great and i love your photo taking skills too. I want to reach in a take the blocks and put it on my wall. I thought if I did the layer cake sew along I would add some coordinating FQs to it so I would get good contrast; probably one of the reasons I didn't star it.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Love block 4. Such pretty colors. Makes me want to go fabric shopping. Oh, no!

Debbie said...

Love your wishes for quilters in 2011...I'm so hopeful to get lots of beautiful projects done.

Shay said...

Enjoy your Monday off Kate. The Monday after New Years was a gazetted public holiday here - I just assumed it was everywhere. And good grief that two weeks went so fast even from where Im sitting didnt it?

Looks like there is lots of designing and sewing going on at the House of Kate. Your binding pictures always look fantastic. How do you do that?

Marg said...

Two weeks of holidays goes sooooo fast!
I love block 4, but I do agree block 5 is a little busy.
The photo of the binding is great.
I think I'm too much of a control freak I could never do a mystery quilt along.

AnnieO said...

Vacation days pass by at a much greater rate than you think! I didn't get done nearly what I wanted to on my week off. You made some pretty blocks at least!

Good luck with all your starts and finishes this year!

Alycia said...

I understand the scowl! Love the colors you are using in the layer cake blocks.