Saturday, January 1, 2011

First Photo of 2011 - Foto Finish Saturday

Happy New Year!  Today's Foto Finish post is supposed to be about new beginnings.  Here is this week's effort:


We are early risers at my house (we actually slept in till 6:30 AM this morning).  I wanted to capture the start of the new year, so I put on my coat, gloves, and scarf (it was 15 F this morning) and walked to the end of the street to catch the breaking dawn.  I love seeing the sun come up.  It's one of my favorite times of the day to photograph.  Not so much in the winter, I'm pretty much a fair weather sunrise photographer!   Even so, watching the sun come up, seeing the sky change from black to midnight blue, to just the hint of peachy pink at the horizon, turning yellow orange as the sun gets higher just takes my breath away.   Hope your 2011 has dawned bright and clear this morning.

Check out the other great beginnings over at Cat Patches Foto Finishes. 

5 comments:

Barb in Mi said...

Happy New Year - You sure got an early start! Looked at your stats - and hope to get lots of UFO's done in 2011 as well. A 75% increase of completed quilts; wow that would be out of this world for me... Congrats to you!

Barbara said...

I'm terrible about getting up early to take these beautiful sunrise images. I'm constantly saying, "If I were a real photographer, I'd get up and . . ." Good for you for being up to see it. It's always worth the trouble for me when I do it. With travel in my future, I have good intentions! Nice shot, Kate.

Pat said...

Two mornings a week I have an early commute. I've seen some really great sunrises. Unfortunately, I'm always on the highway and can't really stop to take pictures.

Marg said...

I am an early riser, I wish I wasn't, but the one great thing about being up early is seeing the sunrise. It will always be breathtaking.

Shay said...

Usually an early bird here too. But Im much more of a give me coffee and the computer person than a I must take my camera and document the majjesty of the sunrise type person.

Your photo is beautiful Kate.