Friday, February 2, 2024

January 2024 PHD Report

I wasn't quite ready for January to be over.  Now that it's the first of February it's time to take stock and link up over at Ms. P Designs USA with my progress on my PHD in 2024. It's not the picture I'd hoped. 




No finishes and two starts, with a third start on tap for February.  I still have 11 months to get a few finishes.  Even though I didn't get to that point this month, there was a lot of progress on several projects. 

Scrappy Butterflies (self designed) is now prepped and ready to go out for quilting.




I just need to find the batting, box and get it packed up.  So fingers crossed that sets me up for a finish in late February or early March. 

Construction of blocks for Wild and Goosey (Bonnie Hunter) started up again in January.  



The big design wall is almost full of Indigo Way blocks, I didn't want to take those down to put up all the W & G blocks, so I'm just showing the progress with the green blocks for this month.  There are 3 green blocks in each corner of the quilt, so I've got one corner done and start on the second.  I'm going to make a few blocks every month to go along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge over at SoScrappy.   

All the blocks for Malted Mystery (Meadow Mist Designs) were finished in January and assembly of the quilt started.



I didn't finish the assembly part, but at least got started.  The February clue is out now and I'm excited to get the next borders finished.  

Bonnie Hunter released the reveal of Indigo Way on January first. 

 



I'm not finished piecing the blocks yet but this is probably the best I've ever done at keeping up with a BH mystery.  I'm hoping to get the quilt top put together this month.  

The first new project this month is Betty which I'm making as part of the Just Two Charm Pack Quilts quilt along with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs.  




Half the blocks are finished.  The yardage for the sashing and the background are left overs from other quilts. The blue and purple fabrics came from my 2.5" scrappy strip bin. It was overflowing, this project has at least created a little space in the bin. 

The second new project this month is the 2024 SAHRR.  I played along last year and really enjoyed the challenge of designing my own borders for each round.  



I'm really happy with how it's come together so far. I've got a start on the next round of borders, but not enough to put anything up on the design wall.  

So I'm not off to a great start on the finishes front and a bit heavy on the starts.  I am doing better than last year, as my first finish didn't happen till September.  I'm not doing so hot on the progress front either. 




But I still have 11 months to move a few of these bars along.  For one month into 2024, I'm not doing too badly. 

6 comments:

Sara said...

For some reason we must get more energized by the new starts than we are about digging into finishing something. LOL You'll get those finishes checked off eventually.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's great to see the butterfly quilt just about ready to go off to the quilter! That will be a beautiful finish. Do you buy a certain size of bags to put everything in when you send it? I love those Wild and Goosey blocks, too! A rainbow from one corner to another is my favorite quilt design.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Congratulations on getting Scrappy Butterflies prepped and ready to ship off once you find the batting. It sounds like you will have your first finish soon!

Terri in BC said...

I like your chart - it really helps to see the progress you are making. Congrats on moving things along, you'll have finishes soon.

dq said...

I love your organization and carefully photographed/planned progress examples. It is how my mind works too.

Sure wish I had done the two charm packs quilt along. I love the pattern you chose!!

Anne-Marie said...

Love all your projects! Great colors. I did not make progress on my PHD in January either.