Sunday, February 11, 2024

2024 Stay at Home Round Robin: Border #3

This week I had hoped to finish off the third round of borders for the SAHRR before Sunday evening.  I was doing so well Friday on getting my triangle borders pulled together.  The first set of border blocks went up on the design wall just before dinner on Friday.  Something  didn't look right.  The diamond tips don't line up.  




I'm paper piecing these diamonds. Note that a diamond is made up of two equilateral triangles and four isosceles triangles. These look wonky because the center diamonds aren't made from two equilateral triangles. I didn't draw the block correctly in EQ and didn't catch it till these were up on the design wall. Why didn't I see it in my EQ quilt mock up?  I used triangle in a square blocks to design the border and decided that paper piecing the blocks as diamonds would be faster.  It would have been if I'd caught that drawing error before I started making the blocks. Lesson learned, double check my measurements in EQ before I print my paper templates.    

By Saturday evening, I had redrawn the block, reprinted the paper pieces, cut the replacement fabric pieces and finished the first set of blocks.  It took me the rest of Sunday to finish all 4 borders. 



The quilt top is now 34" x 36".  I'm happy with how this quilt is coming together.  Grad Girl has been giving me input on fabric selections and a thumbs up on each border mock up in EQ before I start making the blocks.  It's not too hard to collaborate via text.  The prompt for border #4 should be posted Monday morning over at Songbird Designs.  

Linking up with The Darling Dogwood for Round #3 of the SAHRR and my typical Monday morning linky parties for Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts.  

14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a great border, Kate! I'm sorry you had to re-do the original strip, but, of course it was worth it. Paper-piecing looks like the way to go for that shape, too.

Emily said...

I'm sorry you had to re-draw and re-make the blocks, but it looks fantastic! I love the Halloween vibe you've got going here!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm sorry you didn't catch the drafting mistake sooner, but I'm glad you hadn't made all the blocks yet. I like how this is coming together for you this year!

Linda said...

The diamonds look great - nice catch on those triangles!

Sara said...

I really love your diamond borders. What a perfect design choice!

Nann said...

The diamonds add a great dimension. Your 2024 SAHRR is the cat's pajamas!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's marvellous! I agree with Nann that the diamond blocks give it an added dimension!

Barbara said...

Great addition with the diamond blocks. Kind of reminds me of argyle socks.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This quilt is looking amazing, Kate. The diamond blocks looks fabulous.Sounds like the EQ is a great tool to work with while designing. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

Kim said...

Such a lot of work to redo the wonky diamonds but oh how wonderful the border looks now.

Bonnie said...

I feel your pain on the wrong design plus, especially, making a multitude of blocks that won't work...but the new ones really look FABULOUS! So kudos for sticking with it and getting the final product (row) looking so great.

Bonnie said...

Sorry for the wrong designs -- especially not catching them in advance. What a bummer. But the end product looks fabulous.

piecefulwendy said...

Isn't it puzzling when things like that happen, and then a little more fussing with it and it all comes together! I like how the diamonds compliment the cat's eyes. I'm enjoying seeing this take shape!

Jennifer said...

Well worth the fix, the border looks great!