Friday, September 1, 2023

August Wrap Up: PHD in 2023

I'm really not ready for it to be September.  The last four months of the year seem to speed by, I guess because we've got the holidays at the end of them.  Even though I'm not ready for the new month, I am happy with all the progress in August. So though I have no finishes to show off for the PHD in 2023 challenge, I can link up over at Quilting Gail's and not feel too badly this month.


 My PHD chart is unchanged. 





Still no new finishes, but also no new starts.  So there's that at least.  There will be a new start this month as the first piecing clue will be out for Malted Mystery next Thursday.  After getting almost all the new starts for 2023 to finished quilt tops in July, August turned out to be all about the older UFOs on this year's quilt plan. 

Scrappy Butterflies (self designed) came back into rotation as I wanted a project that still needed blocks pieced.  The last time this project saw any progress was back in 2021.  




I finished all the alternate blocks and made a good start on the border blocks that finish out the Irish Chain pattern.  Scrappy Butterflies was my Rainbow Scrap Challenge project in 2013. This was my second ever RSC project. It's definitely time to move it along to finished.  If it makes it to finished quilt top by the end of the year, I'll be happy.  

The plan for Wild and Goosey (Bonnie Hunter) was to make a few blocks each month and see how that goes. 




I only need 3 more yellow blocks to finish off that color.  I still have a long way to go with the other colors.  This was my RSC project for 2019.  Not sure yet what the plan will be for this quilt in 2024. For now I'm just happy to be making progress each month.  

Unity (Bonnie Hunter) is finally out for quilting. 



The back has been pieced and prepped since November of last year. I just couldn't face all the clean up the back of Unity needed.  Trudy emailed yesterday to say the quilting was all done.  My big goal for September will be to move this project to finished and move it off the UFO list.  

With Unity out of the sewing room, I was able to move along to getting the backing made for the Macaron Mystery Quilt (Meadow Mist Designs). 




Macaron is the 2021 Meadow Mist Designs Mystery.  This year's mystery has already kicked off. I probably won't get this one ready for quilting before I start this year's mystery, but hopefully it will go out for quilting by the end of the month.  

Last year's Meadow Mist Designs mystery, Melodic Mystery, became a quilt top. 




The plan for September is to get a backing made for this project with the hopes it will go out for quilting in October.  

Chilhowie (Bonnie Hunter) has been my leaders and enders project for most of the year.  




There is an assembly problem with one of the blocks, probably block 6 from last month.  Thankfully that will be easy to fix.  The subunits for block 7 are almost finished.  Hopefully I'll have that block done before the end of the month.  It would be nice to get this project to a finished quilt top before Bonnie's 2023 mystery kicks off in November.  But that's a tall order, so we'll see.  

Even though I've no quilt finishes this year, there has been a lot of progress.




One project out for quilting and four others are at the finished quilt top stage.  Hopefully Macaron is out for quilting and Scrappy Butterflies is a finished quilt top by the end of the month.  I think the plan then is to move on to getting a back for the Melodic Mystery and finish the setting blocks for Rhododendron to move it to a finished quilt top.  It's OK if I don't get that far, I'm going to be happy with any progress.  

7 comments:

Sara said...

You've been so disciplined about not starting anything new. I think you have some excellent progress here.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how you keep track of every stage of your quilt construction! I usually get stuck at the finished quilt top stage - in fact, I have at least two that I should be getting ready to quilt, but they have been sitting all year. Love the top borders you're showing in the butterfly quilt! That is a beautiful design!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Maybe no finishes this quarter - but Holee cow - look at all that progress!! and such amazing projects too!!!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It looks like you made great progress in August to me. Have fun finishing up Unity when it comes back!

Barbara said...

Everything looks good. Wild and Goosey looks like quite a project. Lots of movement in that one. Curious to see what Trudy did with Unity.

Donna said...

Very cool backing for Macaron Mystery!

DawnyK said...

Wonderful progress! I love the RSC's and now I'm starting to understand as I reorganized my scraps to be in color coordinated bins. Well done with all that progress. Wishing you luck with your September stitching!