Saturday, September 2, 2023

Week 85 Photo Challenge: Negative Space

This was one week where I didn't have any problems finding subjects for the challenge.  My problem was narrowing it down to just one image for week 85. 




In a negative space photograph, there is a primary subject, but it's typically a small portion of the photo, with the background being the primary part of the image.  Not a hard concept, but it can be hard to get a good image.  


Kate: Fence Line


I had several subjects to choose from this week.  This one was My Guy's favorite of the possible images for the week.  In this case the negative space around the shadow has more texture then the focus.  So maybe not a classical negative image, but it works. 


My Guy: Clouds are Negative Space


We've not had a lot of cloudy days recently, he caught the sunrise at just the right time.  

Grad Girl is off on a girls weekend with her grad school buddies, so she had to get me her photo earlier in the week. 


Grad Girl: Head Space


If you've been following the challenge for a bit, you'll get the drift that Grad Girl spends a lot of time in the lab.  She said that all week she kept thinking of head space.  Head space is the unfilled space above the contents of a container. So in a way that is negative space too.  So she nailed this week's challenge using science again this week.  What a concept for a photo book don't you think?  

My Guy pulled this week's card.  His comment was, this would have been easier a few years ago. 




Back when Grad Girl was Drama Teen, she was part of the swim team in town.  My Guy would spend the most of the meets walking around with his camera and long lens.  He did get some really cool splash photos back then.  Grad Girl is at the beach this weekend, so maybe she'll have a non-lab photo for the week. I'm looking forward to seeing what we all come up with (At this point, I have no clue what I'm going to do for this one).  

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your leaf shadow on the fence is a neat one, and a beautiful sunrise photo from your guy! I learned something from grad girl's, too. It is such fun to see what you all come up with each week!

Barbara said...

I like the shadow of the leaf in yours too. Interesting “head space” is a lab thing. It makes sense. I have to leave head space when canning too, so I guess that makes me something of a food scientist. Always enjoy these. Curious to see what y’all will do with “splash.” Opens up some fun possibilities.

Linda said...

Fascinating what each of you perceives as negative space, and each one is perfect and unique. Looking forward to "splash"! I have to admit, when I first looked at the card for next week, I saw "Insprinity" and thought, well I've never heard that word before, wonder what it means. Guess I need to refill my coffee cup - lol!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Ooh I love your fence photo! The leaves shadow is awesome.