Monday, September 4, 2023

A Kaleidoscope of Butterflies

Someone shared recently that a group of butterflies is known as a Kaleidoscope. I'm sorry I don't remember who shared it, but I think it's a very fitting moniker for those colorful creatures.  It's very high in the running for the name of what I've been calling scrappy butterflies.  




The top and bottom border rows are sewn together. The top border and the next two rows are sewn together.  I've been working on assembling the bottom two rows of blocks.  The final two pieced side border blocks are under construction.  I'm happy with how this has come together.  The setting is self designed and there's always the chance my plan won't work. Thankfully this one has.  

Since today is a holiday, it will be another nothing but stitching day.  I'm hopeful that by the end of today, all the rows will be assembled and I will have started on the final borders. I also finished assembling the backing for another project.  I'm crossing my fingers that by the end of today, I'm back to looking over my 2023 quilt plan to decide what goes back on the active WIP list.  

Linking up with Design Wall Monday, Patchwork & Quilts and Oh Scrap.    

11 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your butterflies look great! I love them with the Irish Chain setting.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a beautiful kaleidoscope!!! And love your self-designed setting--so clever!!! Best wishes for a productive day today!

Linda said...

I did not know that about kaleidoscope! Whatever they are, they are beautiful, especially with the Irish chain. Enjoy your stitching day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like how your borders are framing the rest of the blocks! This is making a really neat design, Kate. Enjoy your Nothing But Sewing day!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, the setting looks fantastic as it is coming together. I hope you have a fun day of sewing!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely kaleidoscope of butterflies! I love the layout you designed, very pretty. Enjoy your stitching day ;)
Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

Quilting Gail said...

Beautiful butterfly quilt!
Good luck getting the rows all together!

Barbara said...

I did not know “kaleidoscope” was the collective noun. It’s perfect for your quilt. I had to look that up. They’re also called a “flight” or a “flutter” or even a “rabble.” The last one doesn’t make a lot of sense. Your quilt is gorgeous. Can’t wait to see it all finished up.

Kim said...

A kaleidoscope is a perfect name for your gorgeous butterflies. Those squares are the prettiest of blues. Such a beautiful quilt.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh I just love your butterfly quilt, Kate. I love the alternate block that you are using . I have a few more butterflies to quilt on mine. I am looking forward to starting a new one. Seeing your quilt certainly motivates me. Have a wonderful week.

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Well you taught me something today. Thanks. Beautiful quilt too.