Sunday, March 24, 2024

The 2024 SAHRR Quilt Top

I don't usually post twice in one day, but today is the last day to link up with the quilt parade for the 2024 Stay At Home Round Robin over at Quilting Gail's.  The last border strip was added late yesterday afternoon. Last year I didn't finish the 2023 SAHRR quilt top till June. I'm very happy to have a finished quilt top before the end of March this year. 

The prompt for border #6 was a letter or a number.  I decided to go with an hourglass block, which looks like the letter X.  



 

My end blocks for each row are partial hourglass blocks, but they look like V's. So two letters represented in that last border.  

I'm really happy with how this year's SAHRR worked out. 




The intent was to make an orange and black quilt for Grad Girl (Oklahoma State school colors), but that ended up becoming a Halloween quilt. She's thrilled with the outcome, that's the most important point. I also made a small dent in my Halloween fabrics.  The finished quilt top is 66" x 69".  So a nice cuddle on the couch size.  The inspiration for the quilt center is Queenie, Grad Girl's kitty cat. 




Now I need to raid the stash for a backing fabric and I'll need to get Grad Girl's input on a name.  The plan is to finish it up before Halloween so she can enjoy it sooner rather than later.  

Linking up with the SAHRR Quilt Parade, Patchwork & Quilts and Design Wall Monday.  

17 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is a great looking Halloween quilt

MissPat said...

Wow, this is really impressive. And you got the top done in time for the parade.
Pat

Gretchen Weaver said...

Good job on your quilt top finish! I'm glad your daughter is pleased also.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, I love how it came together and am so happy that Grad Girl is happy with the outcome, too. Congratulations on the beautifully pieced SAHRR quilt top!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think your Halloween SAHRR turned out wonderfully, Kate! It's been fun to follow along as you shared each border design. I can just imagine Grad Girl is going to love it (and probably Queenie, too!)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your last border is lovely, it's a great interpretation of letters! I enjoyed following the process, you made such a beautiful quilt. I love how you played with these colors.
Thank you for sharing the parade!

Quilting Gail said...

Your SAHRR is great! I showed it to my DH and he couldn't believe that you used the same prompts that I did. He could see it when I pointed them out ... so different and unique!!
Thank you for sewing along in the SAHRR '24 and for linking up!
quilting gail

Barbara said...

This turned out great. Nice work.

Julie in GA said...

Your SAHRR quilt turned out great! I love the way you interpreted the different prompts. Congratulations on getting the top done in time for the parade!

Linda said...

Love this, especially as a nod to Queenie! Although I'm a Sooner fan, the OSU colors just shine in this. Clever take on the letters prompt!

Nann said...

Yay! You know how much I've enjoyed watching this quilt come along.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out AWESOME!! Grad girl is right- its perfect!!

Sara said...

This turned out wonderfully! I love your design choices!

Kim said...

Your SAHRR is such a striking quilt, Kate. I love all the imaginative ways you interpreted each prompt. Queenie is immortalised on this fabulous quilt!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a wonderful quilt :)

dq said...

2024? You are doing great!!! Grad Girl must be good at naming things.

I didn't realize how much I had missed in Blogland lately. You are doing well.

Jennifer said...

Wow, what a great quilt! You did such a nice job with the prompts and it is a nice blend of movement and space for the eye to rest. I bet grad girl and Queenie will love it!