Saturday, March 16, 2024

Week 106 Photo Challenge: Lock(s)

So far we've been spared the strong storms that have slammed so many.  Hope everyone is doing well and wasn't impacted by the midweek storms.  We have family in St. Louis. They are all fine, their cars are not doing quite as well.  

When we pulled last week's card, I mentally scratched my head thinking how was I going to get an interesting photo of the chosen subject.  




I've been cleaning out the closet in Grad Girl's room and found a couple of interesting objects with locks.  After playing with both, the more challenging one to photograph won out as my photo for the week.


Kate: Reflective Lock Box


This pretty silver and clear plastic box was up in Grad Girl's closet. Clear surfaces are really reflective, so it took some doing to get a photo that didn't have a lot of distracting images dancing on the surfaces.  Grad Girl came home with this box after her stay with her  grandmother while we were looking for a house prior to our move back to Oklahoma from Texas.  It's held Pokeman cards, Game Boy cartridges, and once did time as a crime scene investigator tool box for one of Grad Girl's Halloween costumes. When I pulled it off the shelf it still contained the CSI badge I mocked up for her that Halloween.  

My Guy took a lot of photos for the challenge.  He sent me seven to pick from. 


My Guy: Tweedy


My Guy pretty much explored the whole house for his photo.  This one comes from his music room.  It's the case for one of his ukuleles.  It's a very pretty tweed, with gold accents.  He plays guitar or ukulele every morning before he heads to work. And usually plays a bit on the weekends when he can't get outside for a walk or bike ride.  

Grad Girl went with a more every day lock. 




It's the deadbolt to her apartment.  You can see Queenie just inside the door waiting for her to get home.  Grad Girl commented that the two pizza boxes by the trash can should give you a clue that it's a college student's apartment. 

I was concerned we would all struggle to find interesting subjects. Looks like that wasn't an issue.  This week's card is going to be a challenge.  



 

My Guy and I had a long conversation this morning on if we had any statues in this town.  We couldn't come up with many and looked up the definition of statue so we knew what might count.  We may well have to go out of town for this one.  That or do some deliberate sight seeing around our community.  Grad Girl works on a college campus, statues are not going to be a problem for her. 

6 comments:

Sara said...

The locks were fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what you find for statues. It actually made me think about where in my own community to find a statue. And then I remembered the big silly corn cob statue across the street from the Corn Palace - where the tourists stop for a quick photo.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun story about Grad Girl's lock box! Sounds like there are lots of good memories "locked up" in that box. Your guy's ukulele case looks like a classic! And I love how Grad Girl caught Queenie peeking around the door when she was coming in. You can just hear her saying, "She's home!"

Barbara said...

Those are really fun! I had a lock on my walk-around today too.

Bonnie said...

It's always fun to see what pictures you three find and post. I bet you can find statues around your community. Does a preschool have a pig (or any other animal hanging around? Wouldn't that be considered a statue? Too bad you don't live in a town with decorated statues a la New Bern, NC and its bears. Fredericksburg VA has statues of otters scattered through out the town. You can check one out here: https://institcheswithbonnie.blogspot.com/2022/10/to-do-tuesday.html Most of the statues around town are pretty darn small! Have fun looking for statues in your area.

Linda said...

I like all the photos! Grad Girl's made me laugh with Queenie and the pizza boxes. :D
I read that St Louis had hail and a tornado or two flying around - hope your relatives didn't have too much damage. Our daughter had golfball sized hail at her house the other night, but so far she hasn't mentioned any damage.

Jennifer said...

Great pictures and the comment about the pizza boxes made me chuckle. When my daughter came home for spring break she said “no pizza, I eat enough of it at school” 😂