Friday, March 15, 2024

Photo Play 2024: February Summary

I didn't do a lot of photography in February, my leg issues limited my mobility the last half of the month. But I do have a few images from earlier in the month.  

It was still mostly brown on my walks early in the month.  But even brown in the right light can be interesting.  I showed a lot of single leaf photos from my January efforts, grouped leaves seemed to be the favorite subject for February. 





It really is all about the light for these three photos.  Even all brown can be interesting under the right light.  My favorite of these three is the last one of the green leaves, the dead leaves on the ground is a close second.  

Sunrises are easier to photograph from the house, sunsets are harder, but I caught a pretty one on our way out for our Valentine's dinner. 




That's downtown off to the right.  

It snowed a couple of days before Valentine's Day. We ended up with about 3".  










The last photo is my favorite out of this set. It's a bit over exposed, which was a deliberate choice on my part.  It's a much more stark photograph, looks almost like a painting to me.  I'm getting better about using the aperture and the ISO settings to get interesting images without using Photoshop effects.  

The sunset was captured with my I Phone, all the rest of the photos were taken with the Canon 70D with a Sigma Telephoto lens.  I've gotten back to studying photography a bit. The book I'm reading now is by Henry Carroll. 




I found this when we went to Powell's City of Books last fall when we were in Portland, Oregon.  He uses photos by well known photographers to demonstrate various techniques and settings. It is available from Amazon.  It's a quick read and interesting, but I'm going to have to practice a bit before I get "great" photographs like what's in the book. 

6 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I am still --thinking--about the question you emailed me about--why I wanted to do photography?? It has been so 'stressful' the last 6 weeks--but I do think about it--I got my big Cannon Camera in 2011--and I loved taking photos of flowers --and the lake up north--when I first moved to Florida and had the river and the dock--it was nature photos of squirrels, racoons and birds of all kinds--but once I moved back to NY and was so sick that year--I wasn't able to take many photos--then I moved back here over 4 years ago--and there really isn't much of interest here at all--and I don't' drive--so I stopped taking the big camera on adventures and just use my little hand held camera for my quit photos for my post!!--maybe I need to get a set of the cards and pick one a week and work on it--hummm?????
Oh--I do love your leaf photos--keep studying--you may be a famous photographer some day!! hugs, diane

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Winter photography has its challenges, but you sure found some beauty in it, Kate! We had a big wet snowstorm over the last couple days and it was so pretty. Mike and I were driving home from the grocery store this morning and there was a row of trees all covered with snow on every branch and I wish I had been fast enough to whip out my phone and try for a photo!

Barbara said...

They’re all great photos. I’ve seen some art quilts where the quilter looks at the colors in a photo and then replicates them into sort of collage of color without adding in the actual subjects…just the color. I’d like to try that sometime. Your leaf photos and your sunset photo would be good ones for that.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Beautiful photographs, Kate. It looks like you all had a good snow in February and the sunset is magnificent. Have a lovely weekend.

Linda said...

Goodness your photos are all lovely! I especially love the snow ones. When we do get snow, it rarely completely covers the grass, so it's not a pretty snow.
That's a pretty sunset on your way to dinner. Where are the good places to eat there now? You know the 1970s places we used to frequent are probably all gone now. ;)

Jennifer said...

What a nice set of pictures, the light really plays well in them, love the sunset picture!