Sunday, November 5, 2023

Stitching Stuff: Week 43 of 2023

 


I'm sorry this post is just a little late.  I spent the day in Houston with Grad Girl and we didn't get back till late, so I slept in a bit today.  Thankfully with time change it's not up as late as it would have been.  

My stitching time has been a bit curtailed since I've been traveling, but I've had some hand stitching to work on in the evenings.  I did well at working that in up until yesterday. 


  • 15 minute days/week = 6/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Oct = 23/31 days
  • 15 minute days/Nov = 3/4 days
  • 15 minute days/2023 = 261/308 days
  • Success rate = 84.74%

My goal was to stitch at least 75% of the days this year. I'm on track with a bit of buffer as stitching time will be harder to find during the holidays. 

One of my goals for this year was to clean up the sewing room, part of that means getting a handle on all my scraps and fabric yardage storage.  I did pretty well with this goal at the beginning of the year, but it's been put aside in favor of stitching most weeks. My plan is to make some progress on this before the end of the year.  I started with my scrap bin.



It's now empty. Well it was empty until I trimmed up the Macaron Mystery quilt so I could bind it. This is my "working scrap bin".  The plan is to empty it each week.  We'll see how that works.  I have a scrap drawer that was so full, I couldn't close it. I've worked on emptying it the last few years and after the last scrap trimming session, you could actually see the bottom at the front of it. 




I finally tackled my washed and to be ironed yardage tub. It's been at the overflow stage for most of the year.  






It's hard to tell I made any progress, but the overflow is at least not as likely to topple over if I bump it.  So still lots of work to do on both fronts. The plan is to chip away on both fronts for the rest of the year. 

So how did your week go on the stitching front?  





1. maggie f
2. Karen
3. Frédérique
4. Julie in GA
5. DonnaleeQ
6. Melisa- Pinker n' Punkin Quilting
7. Jennifer in Indy
8. Quilting Gail
9. Deb in Canada
10. Stitching Loving Nana
11. Andrée at Quilting & Learning
12. Carol Andrews

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

11 comments:

maggie fellow said...

great progress and I am inspired

Sara said...

I like your idea to empty that "working" scrap bin each week. I may try to do the same, as my working bin is actually just the far end of my cutting table and it gets out of control so quickly.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It's so satisfying to see the bottom of the scrap bins! Well done!
My sewing week is still under my goals, but in progress ;)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Woo Hoo on staying on track with your goals, Kate! You have inspired me to gather up a small tub of scraps and whittle those down. Have a wonderful day and Happy quilting. Hugs.

Jennifer said...

Cleaning up in a sewing room is always so hard to do - unless it is so bad I can't work, I usually find a way to ignore it so I can do more sewing!

Linda said...

I'm reading about your scrap maintenance while I'm pushing my scrap bins behind me with my foot, so you can't see them. ;)
Glad you had some time with GG. Did you eat anywhere good while in Houston?

Nann said...

Did you make any rediscoveries when you tackled those bins?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I spent time with my scraps too recently. It felt crazy good to have them sorted! Happy Stitching from me!

Carol Andrews said...

Great job Kate. Must be the time of year because I’ve started that tidy up/get organized thing, too.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, it's a never ending job, isn't it (cleaning and sorting...) When I have no more flat space to use, that's the sign that it's past time to clean up! Sometimes I can live like that for a while, but eventually it drives me crazy! I'm now FMQ the t-shirt quilt. Yeah! Have a great week.

Laurie said...

I'm in awe of anyone who can stay on top of their scrap bin. I have 3 scrap projects currently in the works and I have a working scrap bin, a bag of scraps I've made while cutting pieces for other projects, and a couple of BIG bins. Of course, I had BIG BAGS of scraps donated to me from other mask makers during the pandemic. I'm still working through some of the bags and bins and the scrap projects are still coming along.

Thanks for hosting this fun linkup and inspiring the rest of us to make a little time for quilting every day.