Sunday, November 19, 2023

Stitching Stuff: Week 45 of 2023


Hard to believe that Thanksgiving is this Thursday.  At this point I'm not ready. Lots to do between now and then.  Likely my stitching time will suffer a bit this week. It's a good thing this last week was really good. 


  • 15 minute days/week = 7/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Nov = 16/18 days
  • 15 minute days/2023 = 274/322 days
  • Success reate = 85.09%

My goal for this year is to stitch 15 minutes at least 75% of the days.  Thankfully I'm well over that so have some room if stitching just doesn't work out during the upcoming week.  

One of my other goals for 2023 was to get my sewing room better organized, particularly my scraps and yardage.  I made good progress on that over the last week.  The working scrap bin was empty this week, so I was able to concentrate on scrap drawer #1.  




It was empty by the end of my clean up time on Saturday.  At the very bottom at the back there were scraps from a quilt started in 2003. So I'm glad to have those all cut to size and stored in my bins. Up next is scrap bag #1.



 
This bag is about 11" tall and is overstuffed with scraps.  Hopefully I can make some good progress here before the end of the year.  I have another, taller bag of scraps and a second, larger drawer of scraps left to work through.  I have my work cut out for me.  

The other goal is to get my fabric better organized.  First step to that is to press all the fabrics that have been pre-washed.  




It's hard to judge progress from the picture. What got pressed?  Two 4 yard pieces, one 6 yard piece, 4 half yard cuts plus 6 fat quarters.  I really hate pressing the large fabric cuts, which is why this bin got so full. It does feel really nice to have those all pressed and ready to use when I need them.  In case you are wondering, I've been spending my Saturday and Sunday mornings working on the scrap cutting and fabric pressing.  Sometimes it's just an hour, sometimes it's 3 hours.  I'm hoping to keep this up through the end of the year and just see how far I can get.  

How did you do at getting in some stitching or organization time this week?  
 

1. Gretchen
2. maggie f
3. Julie in GA
4. Karen
5. Quilting Gail
6. katie z.
7. Bonnie in Va
8. Melisa- Pinker n' Punkin Quilting
9. Frédérique

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's so easy to put scraps from making a quilt into a drawer instead of cutting them up immediately. It feels so good when they're cut up and put away. Happy stitching!

maggie fellow said...

wow you are really making progress - keep up the good work

Carolyn said...

I’m curious. What size are you cutting the scraps?

Warm Quilts said...

Congratulations on your commitment to your stitching and organizing goals! Cutting your scraps to size, and pre-washing and pressing fabrics is a daunting undertaking. Well done, and Happy Thanksgiving to you.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You inspired me to get out a small bin of scraps and start cutting into usable sizes this week! Looks like you could make a whole quilt in blues with your bag there. Sounds like a great idea to dedicate a certain day to doing this chore, too!

Katie Z. said...

Good work on tackling those scraps! I know how hard it can be to wade through all of them, but it’s so lovely when they’re all ready to sew up!

Bonnie said...

Nice to see organization in your studio. Mine keeps getting worse and worse with fabric I've pulled from all over. UGH. I need to follow your lead but I think I'll wait until all the commitment items are finished and wrapped up for gifting.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You are doing a fabulous job organizing and dealing with your scraps. I think pressing is one of my least favorite tasks as well. Enjoy your week and Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs