Thursday, November 2, 2023

October Wrap Up: PDH in 2023

Another month gone, just two months left in the year.  It's time to review how well I'm doing on moving a few UFOs to finished and link up with Quilting Gail for the October PHD update.  At this point,  my PHD report isn't very impressive.    



There are no changes in my PHD report, but I have made good progress on several projects in October, even with a week and half vacation thrown in there. 

The oldest UFO on my quilt plan, Scrappy Butterflies (self designed), is now a finished quilt top. 


The plan for November is to find backing fabric and hopefully have this one ready to send out for quilting before Thanksgiving.  We'll see if that happens.  

All the yellow blocks have been finished for Wild and Goosey (Bonnie Hunter). 



November is typically quilt construction time during the Rainbow Scrap Challenge year.  With all the yellow blocks finished, I'm going to move onto orange and see how many of those I can make in November.  

Macaron Mystery (Meadow Mist Designs) is moving towards a finish. 



Trudy finished the quilting and sent the quilt back last week.  I finished the label and the binding earlier this week.  The binding was sewn to the front last night. The plan for this week is to finish hand stitching down the binding the quilt this week. So there should be an updated PHD report for November.  

Bonnie Hunter's 2021 mystery quilt, Rhododendron, came back on the active list in October. The last time there was any progress on this project was in January of this year.  


It's probably optimistic that this will be a finished quilt top by the end of the month as it will have one pieced border, so it will take longer to finish up.  But I'm happy to at least have the blocks out of the project box and mostly assembled.   

Melodic Mystery (Meadow Mist Designs) should be a finished quilt by the end of the year. It was sent out for quilting on Tuesday.  


Hopefully Trudy can work her magic and have it back to me before Thanksgiving. Then I can get it prepped and work on the binding during the holiday while we are visiting with family.   

Chilhowie, last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery, is still my leaders and enders projects.  



The subunits for block 8 were finished, but no assembly happened this month.  Block 8 should be done before the end of the month.  Then it will be on to block 9.  I had hoped Chihowie would be to the  finished quilt top stage before this year's Bonnie Hunter Mystery comes out, but obviously that's not happening. I'll keep working on this one for now and just see where it ends up. 

Malted Mystery is this year's Meadow Mist Designs quilt along.  



Clue 3 is finished.  All but the last 2 sets of flying geese blocks are finished on clue 4.  I'm probably going to be a bit behind when clue 5 comes out on Thursday.  Fingers crossed I can get caught up before clue 6 comes out in December.  

Looking at the accumulated progress across projects for the year, it doesn't look too bad.  



My goal for the year has been progress and as much as I might wish for more, it really has been a good year on that front.  Over the course of this year I seem to have found a project mix that works for me. Fingers crossed it keeps working as we move into the holiday season when most of us have lots of other distractions.  

6 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Bonnie just announced her 2023 mystery. Are you going to join in? I wasn't until I saw the colors and subject matter ... I'm seriously thinking about it.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

All of your projects are so gorgeous, Kate. You have made great progress on them. I love how you used the graphs to keep up with your goals and steps. I do something similar with my scrapbooking but not as nice looking as your graphs. Hmmm. maybe I should think about a graph for my quilting as well. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

Linda said...

Nice progress, and it's always fun to see your quilts in progress. And yes, Rhododendron is still my favorite! :D

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I can tell that you have found a good balance of projects. Have fun with Grad Girl this weekend and finishing the binding on your Melodic Mystery quilt.

Jennifer said...

You’ve made nice progress through the year - always enjoy seeing where you started and where you are now.

Quilting Gail said...

You have made a LOT of progress on several projects! Way to go!!! Hopefully, you'll be able to finish a few once they are back from the quilter!
Thank you for linking to PHD in 2023, October report!
quiltinggail