Monday, July 31, 2023

One of "Those" Mondays!

It's after lunch, so I'm really, really late with my typical Monday morning post.  But it has been one of those Mondays where the day just started wrong and went downhill from there. Grad Girl had asked me to take care of some paperwork for her that's due today.  I realized while I was having my coffee and reviewing my to do lists that I had completely spaced it off. So rather than housework, I needed to head out before 9 to get that taken care of.  

While I was contemplating that change in plans, My Guy who had just left for work, came back. He said his car wasn't drivable.  The front driver side tire wasn't just flat, it looked like it had blown out.  He came in to grab the keys to my car as my original plans weren't to go anywhere.  Since I had to have the car, I got dressed and took him to work. I'll have to pick him up later. 

Add in the stop for gas when the fuel light came on after dropping My Guy at work, my typical morning routine was pretty much trashed at that point.  

On the brighter side, I finished off all the Diatom blocks this weekend. That means I can link up with Quilting Jetgirl's Diatom QAL final link up  



 

I'm so happy with how these turned out.  They are up on the design wall based on the layout Quilting Jetgirl uses in the pattern. I'm not sure they are going to stay in that order, I'm going to play with that a bit before I stitch all the blocks together.  I don't normally keep the colors used by the pattern author, but I just loved the blues Yvonne used in her version.  The patterns is well written and uses larger pieces, so the blocks go together pretty easily.  I learned a new trick for making perfect flying geese with this project.  This quilt is intended to become my couch quilt to replace the one that Grad Girl took to grad school.  

That's what is up on my design wall after a weekend of stitching.  Linking up with the normal linky parties, Monday Design Wall and Patchwork & Quilts.  Hopefully the rest of my week goes more smoothly than today did.  

12 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh goodness, what a morning you had! I'm glad you had a second car and were able to drop off your husband. Hopefully getting that tire fixed goes well and quickly. And your blocks look fantastic; hooray for a great sewing weekend. Have fun trying out different layouts with the blocks. :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That was quite a Monday morning for you! Hope all the issues are easily resolved. The Diatom blocks are gorgeous! I love all the shades of blue and the layout you've got them in. May Tuesday be calmer for you!

Anonymous said...

What a day! But think of Mark Twain who recommended eating a live frog first thing and the rest of the day would be a vast improvement. Are all the diatom blocks the same grid with different color arrangements? Very cool.

Nann said...

Mark Twain said if you eat a live front first thing then the rest of the day will be a lot better. You had a live frog morning! I looked closely at the diatom blocks and I figured out that they are the same units/grid in different color layouts. Very clever.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Sorry your morning plans got all shifted around but your blocks are beautiful in blue!

Sara said...

Diatom looks awesome. Such beautiful shades of blue! Hopefully the rest of your week is better. I was looking forward to a very quiet week with my husband off on a business road trip. But now I'm scheduled to work tomorrow, so my sewing will have to wait. Hopefully I can get all the budgets and data input done in one day. We're still dealing with some repairmen in and out too since that lightning strike we had.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

A lot of unexpected things! This is a day you will remember ;) I hope that everything is fixed now, the car, the paperwork, and that you were able to relax and rest after all this commotion. Diatom blocks are gorgeous! I love these blues too, it's going to be the perfect couch quilt!
Thank you for sharing your day, and linking up ;)

Gretchen Weaver said...

That is how some days just go, completely opposite of what is planned! I love the blues in your quilt, she's pretty now but she'll be a real beauty when finished. Happy stitching!

Linda said...

"Mama said there'd be days like this . . ." Were you able to get the paperwork done? At least your Diatom blocks brightened your day!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I get so frustrated when all those type things pile up !! What a start to your day!!
but!! you saved it with those amazing blocks!! LOVE your colors!!!

Barbara said...

Oh good grief. What a terrible day. Those car problems are so inconvenient. Diatom is gorgeous! I love all those blues. Very striking.

piecefulwendy said...

On days like that, you just have to roll with it, right? Your Diatom blocks look great! Glad you were able to link up!