Monday, July 10, 2023

More Un-stitching than Stitching

Last week was a bit hit or miss in the sewing room.  Grad Girl was home for the week and we did spend some time in the sewing room hanging out, but sometimes there was more talking going on then there was stitching.  She headed back to Texas on Saturday, so my plan for Sunday was to spend my readjustment time in the sewing room.  First off I discovered that the borders for block 9 of Diatom weren't assembled properly.  After a bit of unsewing they are ready to be reassembled properly. 




I think what happened is I was looking at the borders for block 10.  At any rate that took up a good chunk of my stitching time.  

With the 4th of July holiday and associated family plans, I didn't get much done on my To Do List from the week before, so I didn't post a new one last week.  Going off the previous list, I still needed to make a blue and green Wild and Goosey block.  These blocks are paper pieced and there is a lot of trimming between stitching the next seam. 




You can see from the trimmings that I added a red one to the assembly line.  




Red is this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color. I had one red block in the drawer that had been partially assembled, so I just added it to the blue and green ones I had planned for last week.  

I did some stitching on my blog hop project, but I can't show any photos of that till the Just Two Charm Pack Quilts blog hop.  My date is Wednesday, August 2nd. That project will be a priority for me this week. I'll be out of town next week helping Grad Girl move.  I'm hoping the temperatures in Texas moderate before next week, it's really hot there.  Looking at the current forecast, it's going to be a really hot week to move.  

Linking up with Monday Design Wall and Patchwork & Quilts.   

9 comments:

Linda said...

Glad you had some time with Grad Girl, is she moving back home? Wish I had better news for you on the temperatures, it is supposed to get hot again. It isn't too bad here in far north Texas, but that isn't where you'll be, right?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Texas is so hot - one of my girls was in Austin for awhile but she left Texas this weekend and headed closer to home, hope it won't be too hot for you while helping your daughter move.

Bonnie said...

You don't want to miss any time with Grad Girl. Hum, Wild and Goosey block is interesting. Couldn't you make the individual units and then sew them together? Can you tell I hate paper piecing? Sorry to hear you had to do some unstitching but you'll be much happier with the correct blocks. Have a good week.

Nann said...

The W&G blocks look so dramatic in dark tones!

Sara said...

The Wild and Goosy blocks are great. Very rich colors. We all find our seam rippers handy some weeks.

Barbara said...

Sorry about the ripping out. That’s a bummer of a way to spend your sewing time.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Wild and Goosy blocks are looking amazing, Kate.

dq said...

Oh shoot. Unstitching is part of the process sometimes and not fun, but necessary.

Those rich tones are so pretty in the red, green, and blue blocks.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Not fun to unstitch blocks, but better to notice before it's too late. Pretty scrappy RSC blocks, I love the new red one. Enjoy family time!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up.