Monday, July 24, 2023

Getting Back in the Groove

Moving Grad Girl took up most of last week.  I got back from Texas late Friday. Moving in 100 plus temperatures really takes it out of you. We didn't get to bed till midnight several nights, way past my normal bed time. Unfortunately My Guy wasn't able to take off work to come help, so it was just us girls. But we managed pretty well.  Grad Girl has some awesome grad school girl friends who came to help with the heavy lifting.  Still, I spent Saturday in recovery mode with a lot of reading and resting. 

I didn't venture into my sewing room till Sunday afternoon. The quilt top for the Just Two Charm Pack Quilts blog hop is done and photographed, no pictures till next week. That was my "have to do" for the weekend.  Then I spent some time on Diatom block 10. 




The chevron subunits are all pieced.  This will be my focus project for the rest of the month. Hopefully I can get this to pieced quilt top before the end of the month.  

The only stitching I did in Texas was a hexie project from the June guild meeting.




It's a simple hexie flower. The teacher provided the hexie cardboard and precut fabrics.  Not sure what I'm going to do with this, but it was something easy to pull out and work on when I had a bit of downtime early last week. 

That's my design wall (design couch) for last week.  Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts 

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you could applique the hexie to a square of fabric and quilt it - use it for a mug rug? just an idea

Linda said...

I'm surprised you got anything done, let alone hexie stitching! Glad you got GG moved, and ugh on the heat. It really is draining.

Sara said...

The hand pieced hexies will become something fun eventually. It's an awesome hand project for travel. I worked on similar ones in blue batiks in the car on the way to college basketball 2 years ago. It's now a finished wall hanging. I have another little bag of the paper and fabric that has gone with me on a couple of recent car trips.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

GOod for you to cool off and rest - heat takes it out of you!!!
Love those flying geese - and yay! can't wait to see your charm quilt

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are a brave woman to help Grad Girl move in those temperatures! Glad you made it through. Looking forward to seeing your quilt top for the blog hop?

Nann said...

Great that you could help Grad Girl get settled. The HSTs are promising...looking forward to see what they become.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I'm so glad that the move went well and you all had help for the heavy items. I hope your back is none the worse for all that hot and hard work!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Heavy stuff and high temperatures may be quite exhausting, I'm glad that you were able to recover, and even to sew these pretty chevrons. Love these deep blues.
Thank you for sharing your week, and linking up!

Barbara said...

Good grief. That Texas heat sounds positive oppressive. Glad you survived the move. Your hexie looks great. I’ve never made one, so I’m very impressed.

dq said...

Nice hexie block. You will come up with a home for this little orphan somewhere I am certain.

Marsha Cooper said...

When will the triple digits end?? It's been like a desert, even if it rains it dries up so fast.

I kind of miss making hexies but with so many other projects I gave them up.