Sunday, February 2, 2020

Week 5 of 2020: Stitching Stuff

Yeah for three day weekends!  The company I work for allows us one day off each month if we agree to work an 8.5 hour day.  I took my monthly day off on Friday.  It was nice to have a day to rest, relax, and recharge after a busy month of performance reviews, goal setting and business travel. Even better, I got to spend most of my day in the sewing room, so I made up for my missed stitching time earlier in the week when I was in New Orleans. How did your stitching plans go for the week?  



This was my first week in 2020 where I couldn't fit in some stitching time every day. 

15 minute days/week = 5/7 days
15 minute days/January = 29/31 days
15 minute days/2020 = 30/32 days
Success rate = 93.75%

My goal for 2020 is to maintain a success rate of 85%, so I'm doing well on that front.  It's just unrealistic and requires major contortions on my part to try to maintain a 90% success rate when I'm working full time.  The point with the 15 minutes to stitch is to get me to the sewing room even when I feel too tired.  If I can get myself up the stairs, typically I can find the energy to take a few stitches in something and keep my projects moving.  

I didn't set any firm goals on stash management this year. There didn't seem to be any point as I typically can't help myself when it comes to buying fabric, with the end result I fail spectacularly with any planned fabric diet.  My focus is on using up fabric (new or stash). Since some weeks are really slow on stash usage, I'll just report monthly totals this year.  

January fabric out = 6.73 yards

The quilt back for Twinkle Stars was a good part of that total, but the Mosaic Mystery and Frolic blocks are included in that total as well.  Linking up with Quiltpaintcreate for the stash report this week. 

You can link up below and share how your efforts to find some stitchy time each week went. 



1. Julie in GA
2. Shasta @ High Road Quilter
3. Chrisknits
4. Meloney
5. karen
6. Marti
7. maggie f
8. di
9. Quilting Gail
10. DawnyK
11. katie z.
12. Jennifer in Indy
13. Amanda
14. Loulee (Manxgirl)
15. Deana
16. Christina's Handicrafts

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

11 comments:

Donna said...

Good usage numbers this month!

Marti said...

Even working, you achieve a higher success rate than I do, but I agree that the goal is to get into the sewing room. It's nice that your company gives you that option for an extra day off each month.

chrisknits said...

Yay for time to sew!!! I hear you on the travel causing hiccups in the sewing time! But I made up for it that last 2 days getting a lot of sewing in.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You are doing great! It is unrealistic to set the goal of stitching every day to be too high. It is supposed to be fun and relaxing not a stressful requirement! I tried listing my fabric usage - I started a post saying I didn't buy any fabric this year, but then I got a coupon and had to delete that sentence. I think I am better off not announcing my lack of purchases because it backfires on me.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It's always nice to have one more day off! Great time for sewing ;)

Emily said...

Hooray for a bonus day of sewing!

Jennifer said...

That flex schedule sounds like a great benefit, and glad you got a full day of sewing on yours! Does everyone take the same day off or can you choose? Great start to your stash and stitching time totals!

loulee said...

Wow, you are doing well.

seabreezequilts said...

I've just started going through some of my old BOM that I have collected over the years and repurposing the fabric.

Denise :) said...

I have to say, as long as ten-hour days feel somethings, I wouldn't go back and give up my Fridays off! I hope you enjoyed your long weekend. Your stitching time is fabulous! Keep up the great work! :)

dq said...

This is the first week I didn't stitch every day as well. I worked late after school on Friday. When I walked in the door I was reminded of a dinner party my husband and I had planned to attend. I was just too tired afterwards to do some stitching.

I like that you set reasonable goals for yourself. Reporting on your stash/new use once a month sounds perfect.