Friday, April 26, 2024

To Do Tuesday on Friday for the Week of 4/23/2024

It's been a couple of weeks since my last to do list.  We were traveling for one week and once we got home, prep for knee surgery made it a lot harder to do the stairs.  So I've been sticking with hand work pretty much exclusively the last 3 weeks.  Since that's the only thing that was on my "allowed" activity list, it didn't seem worth it to do a new to do list.  By Wednesday, I was pretty bored with hand stitching and just restless. The knee is fully weight bearing, meaning nothing is going to fall apart if I walk on it.  But the knee and the rest of my lower leg hurt continuously no matter if I'm sitting, standing or walking. A new distraction was needed. 

So I Googled how to go up and down the stairs after knee surgery. It requires crutches. (Yes the knee is weight bearing, but it hurts like heck to go up stairs without assistance).  I practiced going up to the first landing (4 steps) and back down to see if it was feasible.  Once I mastered that, it was time to try for the whole staircase.  I made it to the sewing room and actually turned on the sewing machine and sewed a few seams. Using the foot pedal is a bit strange, but it's not painful.  It seems surgery took more out of me then I expected, it's tiring to sew for very long.  But now that I've made it to the sewing room, it makes sense to put a list together.  

To Do List for 4/23/2024

1. Butterfly Medallion:  Continue as back up project if the stairs seem to much. 




The first half the butterfly is finished. I've moved the hoop to do the center body and part of the remaining wing.  I may not get much more done on this if I'm able to spend a lot of time in my sewing room. But till I'm walking normally, I'll keep it on my to do list. 

2. Rhododendron: Work on adding last border. 




The strips are cut and assembled, but I need to cut them to size.  They may be more of a challenge as I'll need to measure the quilt top to do that.  Laying the top out on the floor and measuring that way is probably not going to happen because I'm just not that mobile yet.  We'll see how far I get with this.  Maybe My Guy will help me get those measurements.  

3. Guild BOM: Cut out pieces for April block.  

Even if I don't get it assembled, the May block will be out soon and then I can finish both off together. 

4.  Wild and Goosey: Continue to make purple blocks for April




I finished off one block on Wednesday and have 2 more in the works.  If I can finish those off by the end of the month, I'll be in good shape to start in on May's color. 

5. Indigo Way: Continue as leaders and enders

I need to cut a few more component pieces to finish off the B blocks that are left to make. 

That's my to do list for the rest of this week.  It is tiring to sew, the foot pedal isn't totally comfortable to use right now. If I make any progress on projects 2 through 5, I'll be happy.  Linking up with To Do Tuesday over at The Quilt Schmilt: For the Love of Fabric.  

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry you're still experiencing so much pain, Kate - I hope it starts to get better soon! Good for you, tackling those stairs, though. Sometimes it helps just to play with a little fabric, even if you can't sew too many seams. That purple for the Rhododendron border is gorgeous!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope that you can tell improvement in your knee day by day, and hopefully the stairs and a little bit of sewing will seem more manageable each day, too.

Barbara said...

I think pain just wears you down, and so it’s not surprising you tire quickly. Pace yourself. It takes time to heal, as I’m sure you know. Your to-do’s look reasonable.

Linda said...

Ugh on the pain, that takes a lot of your energy, but congrats on persevering to get up the stairs! When I first used crutches, my arms killed me, but then I actually developed some biceps - lol! Made me think I should use them all the time. ;)

MissPat said...

I love the purple border you picked for Rhododendron. Mastering using crutches on the stairs is a big deal all by itself. It's not surprising that you tire easily. Listen to your body. You'll get there.
Pat

Carolyn said...

Surgery does take a lot out of you, but good for you on conquering the stairs. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are soon back to doing what you want to do!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I feel for you, Kate. I have heard some say that they would never have knee surgery again. Just take all of the time you need in the healing process. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed some time in the sewing room. Your butterfly is looking amazing. I always enjoy seeing your butterfly projects. Gorgeous Wild and Goosey block too . Have a great weekend. Hugs.