Monday, January 6, 2020

The Week in Stitches

I'm grateful that we went back to work last Thursday. We had a short work week, then a weekend to gear up for the first Monday after the New Year.  So I'm not dreading today too much as I got a bit dug out last week at work plus got in some good relaxing and productive stitching time over the weekend. 

My word for 2020 is "Finish", as in clear off the UFO/WIP list a bit.  My strategy is to focus on mostly those projects that are almost to the end point.  That certainly paid off this weekend.  Twinkle Stars now has all it's borders, so it's a finally a finished flimsy! 


Twinkle Stars
Tutorial by Angela Feldbush of Soscrappy

Adding that rainbow border and that final wide white border finally says finished to me.  Now to decide on the backing fabric and get that pieced.  The plan is to get this one sent out for quilting before the end of the month.  Fingers crossed that it's quilted and bound before the end of February.  That would be awesome! 

Staying focused for one more week paid off cause the Winter Quilt Along Mystery is now a finished flimsy too. 


Quiltgirl Winter Quilt Along
Alycia Quilts

Thanks Alycia for a fun and relatively fast end of the year mystery. Once Twinkle Stars has been shipped out for quilting, I'll find a backing for this project and hopefully get it out the door for quilting in early February.  This quilt will be donated to Quilts of Valor once it's all finished.  Hoping to get this one off the list before the end of March. 

So it was an excellent weekend for stitching. Now I just need to maintain my focus so the backs get made and the quilt tops get prepped so both quilts can be sent out for quilting.  Linking up with Monday Making and Monday Design Wall.  

16 comments:

Nann said...

Two flimsies in such different styles. Though I admire quilters who work in series and those who have a signature "look" (Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry comes to mind immediately) there's much to be said for those of us whose quilting crosses genres! The mystery quilt is bright and bold. (Now I can imagine it RSC-style....)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

:) yeah Twinkles is a top now - I love this bright colorful quilt

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a productive weekend! I hope you have a great Monday. :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Twinkle Stars is just wonderful with its final borders, Kate! I like the way your mystery quilt turned out, too - a great design!

Sara said...

Twinkle Star is just fabulous!! I loved that block when it showed up in the RSC challenge. I've been thinking about making some again because I love the block.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

You can do it--gt them both out the door and then you can get all excited about the 'next' project--you are doing well this new year!!!
luv, di

chrisknits said...

I have no doubt you can get those goals knocked out! I hope work will allow you free time when you are home!

Marti said...

Whoohoo! Two finished flimsies already this year! Hubby only worked a day and half last week, but he also thought it helped get started this week. Good luck with your backings.

Louise said...

Double your flimsies, double your fun! Good for you for finishing two :)

MissPat said...

You're off to a good start. Twinkle stars is one of my favorite, although I only made one block back when Angela introduced it. Someday, maybe.
Pat

Angie in SoCal said...

Twinkle Star is a fantabulous quilt. I love that block!!
I've made two in different sizes and wait to decide which I want to use in my quilt. You're off to a wonderful start of the year. I didn't do so hot in the last two months. These end of the year times have so much in them, I may just work on Christmas things in July and August. Happy New Year!

loulee said...

You had a great weekend. The twinkle stars quilt is beautiful.

Emily said...

Love that winter QAL quilt! I may go save the clues so I can make it some time. I just donated my first quilt to Quilts of Valor and I'd like to make more.

Quilter Kathy said...

Great progress... well done!
I love that colourful strip border around the stars... very effective!

Jennifer said...

Wow, two finished tops and they both look great, congrats on the strong start! Good luck getting them prepped and backs made to get off to the quilter.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Look at you go!! glad you enjoyed the Winter Quilt a Long!! and thank you for making it a QOV!!! your the best!