Monday, January 14, 2019

Weekend Stitching - The Not Fun Stuff

We didn't get the snow, but we certainly got the cold and wet this weekend.  It was a good weekend to not have any place to go. I made good use of the home time this weekend. Mount laundry was scaled, the top of my "business" desk is clear and the floor of the sewing room is thread free. 

I did spend a good amount of time in the sewing room, but there wasn't a lot of stitching going on.  My One Monthly Goal for January is to get Inverted Star ready for quilting and shipped out to Trudy.  That was the reason to get the threads off the floor, to avoid getting any (more) stray threads on either the back or the finished flimsy.  I start by prepping the back (it's easier and faster). A lint roller was used to pick up any stray threads and the back was given a good final press. 



Now it's all folded up, bagged and ready for shipping.  

Then it was time for the Inverted Star flimsy to get the same treatment.


I work from the back, first using the lint roller to remove any loose threads, then pressing the seams and blocks.  The final step is to neaten up the seams by removing any threads that could possibly show through the white background once the project is quilted.  I only managed to press and de-thread half of the flimsy yesterday.  There was a lot of fraying on the back, there was quite a pile of excess thread just from going over the first half.  


And that doesn't include what the lint roller picked up.  

I had hoped to have it ready to ship out today, but it's going to take another hour or so to finish off the last two rows.  This is my least favorite step of the quilting process, so I tend to put it off.  At least I've gotten started. Since the process requires my cutting table, which doubles as my pressing station, I'll have to finish the clean up before I can get back to my other projects.  Not fun, but necessary. 

Hope your weekend of stitching was loads more fun than mine. Linking up with the normal Monday crowd. 

Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall

20 comments:

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

When I applique a quilt, I can cut the block with pinking shears (rotary cutter) and that helps. But I have just finished a quilt that has so many threads to clean up! I hate the raveling! But as you said, it has to be done. I like the way you do your clean up! Must remember that when I prepare some quilts that I am sending out in March to get me caught up on quilting!
Have a great day

Quilter Kathy said...

You iron on your cutting table? Do you have remove the cutting mat and put down a pressing mat?
It looks like a nice big space to iron on!
It is a pain to rethread but when you have a white backing, thread do appear randomly and show threw.

Ramona said...

It's amazing how many threads come off of the back of a quilt. It's well worth the effort, though. Hope you are able to get it in the mail soon.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is one of my least favorite steps, too. Using the lint roller is a great idea though! I'll have to remember that.

Barbara said...

I’ll admit that I don’t do this, but I can see the value. When I’m doing my own quilting, I sometimes run across threads that I can see between the layers. I have a little tool...like a teeny tiny crochet hook that I can use to get them out, but your way would save the trouble of that. The lint roller is a good idea. I’ve recently started using one to clean up my ironing board from time to time.

Jayne said...

My lint roller gets a lot of action in my sewing room! It's a lifesaver! It's amazing how many threads we have to remove from quilt backs. Fraying happens, but no one really talks about it!! You have to be relieved to get both quilts ready to go!!

maggie fellow said...

THe thread war is not a war that can be won - especially since when I get undressed at night- the pesky things are everywhere.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I see so many quilters skip this step not realizing why you need to do it. Occassionally I take a flimsy to a guild meeting just to show the pressing and the thread clean up - reminder. All the long armers will chime in - not their job to take care off.

Vasudha said...

That's one clean quilt top and back. I'm afraid I've never done this. Your quilt top looks awesome. Can't wait to see when finished.

Alison V. said...

Even if it's slow tedious work, the accomplishment of being able to send out the quilt and then knowing that it's close to being finished once it comes back to you should make it slightly better!

Also -- Mount Laundry! We're 95% moved but the one annoying thing that is still at our apartment is the laundry sorter. The piles of laundry on the floor in our bedroom which are only sort of sorted have started to drive me batty.

Roseanne said...

Hi Kate! There may not have been any sewing going on, but certainly time worthy tasks were completed. Gosh, look at all that link. Isn't it amazing?!! Good for you! And another friend (Gail) convinced me to join in your linky party for 15 minutes to Stitch. What a pretty button you made, and while I'm a bit late to join in, I hope that's fine. I can't possibly remember how much time I've spent sewing so far, but it will be fun to see that number at the end of the year. It will represent most of the time, anyway. ~smile~ Roseanne

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love lint rollers-especially in the sewing room-I also used mine alot to clean the threads off my ironing board!!
Good job and think it is almost done and then boxed and on it's way!!!
and you can turn to the next quilt on the list--
luv, di

Louise said...

Like Barbara, I don't do this step and have a little tool to use if I spy a show-thru thread. Fortunately, I rarely use white backgrounds so it isn't much of an issue for me. Your quilts have that lovely, fresh look from using the white, though very much worthwhile for you! :)

Marti said...

That's a lot of clipping. Not fun but one of the necessary evils. Do you have to reblock your quilt too?

chrisknits said...

I admit, I don't often do a bang up job of trimming those strands that gather on the edges. Kudos to you for being so meticulous. I am sure I likely have a few strays that are showing through.

MissPat said...

Having just had to dethread the backs of two commission quilts, I can appreciate the effort it took. It's one reason I afford using white sashing and backgrounds.
Pat

seabreezequilts said...

i'm always lazy with getting rid of stray threads, I never cut the tails off. I'm usually cutting of threads as i baste and quilt.

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

You were super productive today! All that ironing and stray thread removal!

dq said...

That is a lot of threads and a beautiful quilt!

Jennifer said...

Wow, that’s a lot of thread! I tend to think scraps have more threads - maybe because they have been handled more? You do a much more thorough job than I do with your prep and I am sure it pays off!