Friday, January 11, 2019

2019 Finish Along: Along for the Ride Again

We are in the second week of January already.  If you can get past this week with your dieting and exercise goals for 2019 on track, you are doing better than most.  Usually the quilty goals are still on track at this point.  We'll see if that is still true at the end of the month.  Staying focused on one project seems to be my best strategy for getting quilts done, so hopefully participating the 2019 Finish Along will help me keep that focus. 



Since I'm also committed to the APQ UFO Challenge, I've already drafted a prioritized list of the UFOs to focus on this year.  But rather than following along with the number of the month, I'm going to work through my list in numerical order and work on each project till it's done rather than switching each month.  Fingers crossed that will mean more finishes this year.  So from that list what's likely to get done in the first quarter of the Finish Along? 

1.  Inverted Star


 Inverted Star by Jessica Boschem of Common Threads available from Blueprint 

It's a finished flimsy, the back is pieced, both need to be pressed and prepped for quilting, then packaged to go out for quilting.  That should happen this weekend.  So Inverted Star is a good candidate for a first quarter finish.

2.  The Christmas Mystery Quilt

Ho Ho Ho (Christmas Mystery)
designed by Carrie Randall (Quilter's Hideaway)

Also a finished flimsy, though I do need to embroider some eyes, nose and mustache onto the nut cracker.  It needs a backing pieced and then it can go out for quilting.  I'll start on it as soon as Inverted Star is ready to go.  So this is another likely first quarter finish. 

3.  Christmas Angels

 Christmas Angels
Pattern by Kate

The center of the quilt is pieced, but it needs borders and backing.  I think this one is also likely to get finished this quarter if I don't dilly dally over the first two.  

4.  Vintage Dresses

 Vintage Dresses by Charise Randell

Another quilt that needs the borders added and the backing pieced.  I'm not sure this one will make it to finished by the end of the quarter.  It needs to go out for quilting early in March to make that deadline.  

5.  Red, White and Blue Stars

Red, White and Blue Stars, Setting by Kate

The blocks need to be sashed and sewn together.  This one isn't likely to get done in first quarter, but I'll add it to the list as my stretch goal for the quarter.  It would be really nice to get four quilts finished in the first quarter  That's all I finished in all of 2018.  

11 comments:

Alison V. said...

I think these are great goals for the quarter! I can't wait to see some of these finished flimsies quilted. :D

Sew Much For Free Time said...

Oh my! Those vintage dresses! Wow! Good Luck you your finishes

chrisknits said...

Good idea to start with some close to finished items. That way you are heading in a positive direction and will build confidence! Good luck with your goals.

Donna said...

Three quilts would be impressive and four would be amazing. Good luck with your goals.

dq said...

Kate, I love love love every one of your projects! I have admired the dress quilt in your banner forever. It is wonderful that you plan to finish it this quarter.

Your Christmas quilt top is very inspiring to me because I am making my own Christmas quilt this year.

seabreezequilts said...

Good luck with your quarter finishes.

Emily said...

Beautiful quilts to work on! I don't know if I've seen the red,white, and blue stars before--it's gorgeous! Love that star pattern. You always find amazing star patterns!

Karin said...

Beautiful quilts...actually stunning, will be great to see them finished

Preeti said...

Personally, I want you to complete the vintage dresses quilt. The anticipation is killing me. Seriously, Kate, it has been forever!!! But I love all your projects.

Jennifer said...

I have faith in you Kate! These quilts will be even more lovely when they are finished!

Nicole said...

I really like how you include the likelyhood of finishing your projects. You're extra organized! And those dresses are really sweet.

Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.

Good luck getting these done.
Nicole, Handwrought Quilts