Monday, January 7, 2019

Weekend Stitching: Good Fortune (Maybe Not)

The weekend got off to a rough start with some type of stomach bug.  I didn't stray too far from the recliner most of the day Saturday.  But by late evening I was feeling well enough to wonder into the sewing room and trim up the backing for Inverted Star.



Now the backing is ready for it's final pressing before it's packaged up for Trudy to quilt.  I hope to get that done this week.  Next weekend I'll clean up the back of Inverted Star, give it a good press and then package it up to go out. If I can manage that, it should be back so I can finish it up in February.  

Sunday I focused on getting enough blocks of Good Fortune up on the design wall to see if I was going to like my color palette. 


Good Fortune, 2019 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt

I love the blues, greens and purples. And I love the secondary pattern.  I'm just not sure about the black.  Is it too stark?  The black is really a tone on tone,  unfortunately it just reads as solid black in the photograph.  I didn't cut out all the black pieces, just enough to finish a few blocks, so other than having to unsew 4 blocks, I can still make a change.  I'm considering a darker purple, dark blue or maybe even a pale pink or magenta.  It depends on what I've got in the stash. Or I could decide to just leave the black.  I'm not going to have a lot of time to sew the next couple of days so my focus will be on getting Inverted Star out the door, so the plan for now is to leave the blocks up on the design wall for this week then make a decision on a path forward next weekend.  

Have a wonderful week.  Check out all the other weekend progress at these fun linky parties. 

Monday Design Wall
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune 

25 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I love the colors on the Good Fortune quilt. I think that the black really makes the other colors shine. Glad you are feeling better.

Andra Gayle said...

I am thinking of making a Good fortune without the string pieces too. I do agree that the black looks really stark in this picture. Hope you find the perfect fabric. I am thinking it would be really pretty in purple and pink. Unfortunately I mostly have fall colors in my stash and navy blue. may have to use those. Happy Stitching!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I do like the fabrics in your Good Fortune quilt, but agree the black looks a bit stark in the pic. Maybe a lighter shade of black, does that make sense? I'm glad you're feeling better and hope you have a productive week! Thanks for linking to MCM!

Barbara said...

I totally love your fabrics. I saw the finished blocks laid out for this on Facebook yesterday evening, and so I recognized the design when I saw it on your blog. My first thought was, “Oh what pretty fabrics she chose!” As for the one I saw made up, there was a piecing error that I spotted without even really looking...kind of jumped out at me. I was glad someone else told her about it beause I didn’t want to be the bearer of bad news. Anyway...yours is beautiful. Don’t change it.

Churn Dash said...

The black is quite strong.

I love that your blocks are not scrappy. It seems much calmer and easier to look at. I love your colours too.

Helen

Alison V. said...

I really like the black! I think it looks great with the other fabrics you're using.

PatriciaLud said...

Your fabrics are stunning. I like the black, but can see if you'd like a softer color. What about a tone on tone grey? Magenta would be interesting.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, that color combination for Good Fortune is really pretty! Glad you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I love how the black makes the other colours sparkle. A Jewel Fortune.

Chris said...

I think the black makes the rest of the colours really pop. I like it.

Bonnie said...

Duh, I knew this was Good Fortune but it looks so different made in yardage instead of scraps. I really like it the way you've done it. The black does seem to say "pay attention to ME!" rather than the overall design. When you have time, audition some other fabrics to see if something tells you it is perfect. Are your neutrals all the same fabs or different? It looks like they are probably different. Hope you find some time to head into your studio this week.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love the colors and design and the black does make it all 'pop'--
Happy stitching this weeek--
luv, di

chrisknits said...

The black look salt to me, compared to how the others sparkle. I would say a pink or dark purple would be great. Good luck with your decision.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Glad you are feeling better! I really really like the black - I think it makes your other colors really look like jewels!

DawnyK said...

Glad you are feeling better! What about a dark chocolate brown instead of black? I love the bright colors! Can't wait to see what you decide.

Julie said...

I love your color combination and I do like the black. It adds some zip!

Kate said...

I like the black, but I have been liking any version that lets the chain "pop" - I personally don't like the original orange and red because the chain is so muted.

The Joyful Quilter said...

The black definitely pops! Best of luck choosing if that's what you want to see every time you look at the quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That secondary pattern is really neat! I love your jewel-tone colors. Great job getting your Inverted Stars top ready for quilting, too!

MissPat said...

I like the black, but maybe a more marbled shade would tone down the starkness. Your other colors aren't solid color, so a black with variations in coloring might be a better fit. Thinking Moda marble style fabric. Hope you are feeling better.
Pat

works4me said...

I love your colour and fabric choices. From what I can see whether you decide to swap out the black or not, it will be a stunning quilt.

I hope you continue to feel better.

Emily said...

I like the black. With your deep jewel tones, it sets the rest off beautifully. I love the fabrics you chose!

Janice Holton said...

If you like the black, I think it looks fine! But if you decide to try another color, I can envision a navy blue or deep purple like you said.

Judy Hansen said...

The versions of Good Fortune that appeal to me have a color that "recedes" where you have black. If that part "jumps forward" as the black does, it fights with the designs in the other blocks. You could cut a few pieces of another color to place over your black on your design wall, and audition them. I know you will make a good choice. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays.

Jennifer said...

Your blocks look great and didn’t stand out to me until you mentioned the black. I think they can work, or I might try navy instead to still bring the eye to something darker. Either way,I think it will still look great - really love the colors you chose. Hope you’ve had a good week with some time for sewing!