Saturday, January 12, 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Radiant Red Stitching

What a week!  The first full week of work after the holidays is always rough for some reason.  It was nice to get home last night and head to the sewing room for some in depth stitching therapy.   I was in the mood for some mindless stitching, this year's Rainbow Scrap Project seemed to be just the thing to work on. 





I was able to finish off the first two blocks last night. 


 Modified Wild and Goosey
Based on Bonnie Hunter's pattern in Addicted to Scraps

These blocks are 3.5" squares, that's relatively tiny for me. Each block has 13 pieces, so it takes a bit to finish off one square.  Even with all the tiny pieces, these two were a lot of fun to make.  The planned layout needs 320 blocks.  In addition to the red, the plan is to make pink, magenta, purple, blue, turquoise, green, yellow and orange blocks.  So with 320 blocks in 9 different colors, that's about 36 blocks of each color.  With those kind of stats, this project is likely to take a couple of years. We'll see if I can move it along a bit faster, but even if I can't, it's using up some of those little scraps, so how can that be a bad thing? 

Linking up with Angela over at Soscrappy today and linking up with Cynthia for Oh Scrap on Sunday.  

17 comments:

scraphappy said...

It can’t be a bad thing to use up tiny scraps to make something beautiful. The nice thing about tiny blocks is that you get to make so many of them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are really pretty! I like bright red scraps against the black background!

Barbara said...

They’re really pretty. Is this a good leaders and enders project?

maggie fellow said...

red is striking

Cathy said...

That’s one ambitious project! But commendable - and cute!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks, it's going to be a lovely quilt, even if it takes 2 years!

Katie Z. said...

Wow! Your blocks are beautiful.

Louise said...

You had me right up until you said 3.5"! Teeeeeeeeeeeeeensy! But wow that will be a fantastically scrappy and rich quilt :)

chrisknits said...

As long as you are enjoying the ride, does it matter how long it takes? Love those blocks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nothing wrong with a nice multi-year RSC project. I've got a few of those, too!!

Emily said...

Wow, that's a lot of tiny blocks! You have waaaaay more patience than I do! (But I already knew that!) This will be beautiful, and sometimes the multiple year projects become my favorites. I look forward to watching this one come to life! Beautiful start!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great choice for an RSC block. I think these blocks are going to make a great quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

This is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

Alison V. said...

These look awesome! I can't wait to see how you put together this quilt.

Susan said...

3.5 inches? And 3 flying geese? Kudos to you, but I'll never go that tiny. =) They are wonderful, and so accurate.

Preeti said...

320 blocks??? I just fainted. Someone give me my smelling salts. Oh my!!!
OK, I love the deep dark reds and I am sure it will make a fantastic quilt.

Jennifer said...

Those two are a good start! 320 is a lot of blocks!!!