Tuesday, January 1, 2019

January One Monthly Goal - Strategy and Planning

Happy New Year!  We made it through the count down to midnight in Tulsa and then promptly hit the sack.  My Guy and I spent the evening leading up to the count down talking and doing our annual massive back up of all the computer files (Between the 2 of us we've had 4 catastrophic computer failures in the last 4 years, so backing up all the photo files is something we try to do frequently).  I've spent this New Year's day morning resetting all my tracking spreadsheets and reviewing what I'd like to get done in 2019.  Patty had the January 2019 One Monthly Goal link up ready early this morning.  


So no time like the present to get moving on the quilty plans for the new year. The plan for January is to make the backing for the Inverted Star quilt.

Inverted Star
by Jessica Boschem of Common Threads
available from Craftsy

The backing fabric has been selected and pressed, so it's ready for cutting and assembly.  


I'm also planning to get the quilt prepped and everything packaged for shipment to Trudy for quilting. So the goal is to get this project shipped out for quilting by the end of the month. That should be doable.  

This is my fourth year of participating with the one monthly goal.  I didn't do so well in 2018.  I only made my goal 5 times in the last 12 months, compared to 11 times in 2016 and 10 times in 2017.  Not sure why last year was so different, maybe my goals were too ambitious?  Not sure, hopefully I'll get back on track with my goal setting/achieving this year.  

Linking up with Patty over at Elm Street Quilts.  What's your plan for the first month of 2019. 

19 comments:

dq said...

I am drooling over this gorgeous, happy quilt. The star border is PERFECT and I am pretty particular about borders. I believe of you piece the center you should finish it with a nice pieced border. Love it!

The back is perfect!

I finished most of my One Monthly Goals but forgot to do the finishing linkup at the end some times. No big deal, getting them done was all that really mattered.

Donna said...

The back is perfect for the quilt. This will be a great first finish for the year!

Marti said...

Great backing for that quilt. This finish should be the start of your momentum for the year. Good reminder to backup your computers. Those crashes are no fun. I try not to save much to my hard drive, but I've been lax lately and need to clean those off. Here's to a great year (clinking imaginary glasses).

Quiltsmiles said...

Kate your quilt is awesome esp. with the way you pieced those borders, looks great and that backing is perfect too.
Great idea on backing up the computer files, I never thought of doing it on New Years Day. I'll be adding that to my list of annual chores I've yet to compile.

I love using a "Bullet Journal" but have found its easier and truer to what I use when I make my own sheets, which btw...I just pulled it all together this am and it's bundled now into "my bullet journal". Curios though, what style fits your life?

Kathryn T said...

Visiting from the Elm street link up. This sounds like a very doable goal, so all the best with it. I was drawn in by the rainbow star quilt top. Love it and indeed the outside border. It makes the quilt.
Kathryn Quilts

Kathy S. said...

What a beautiful quilt to start off the new year.

Barbara said...

Oh boy! That’s one of my favorites from your sewing room. Can’t wait to see it all finished. You’ve chosen the perfect backing.

Alison V. said...

This backing is going to be so beautiful for your Inverted Star quilt! As for me, January is going to be crazy with moving so I have two and only two projects on my to-do list this month. I have to finish the top for my January Island Batik hop (luckily my date isn't until the 21st!) and I'd like to finish an older quilt top to send out for quilting as well. :D

Patty said...

Love the quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh yay!!!! So... backing up your photos... Do you use a external drive? What is your plan? I am always looking for great storage ideas!

chrisknits said...

Good luck with your goal! I am playing along with too many challenges this year, hoping to use OMG to attack some of them.

Emily said...

What a beautiful fabric for your back! I didn't do well with OMG in 2018, either. I didn't even remember to post goals many times, and I didn't make very many of the ones I did post. Here's hoping we both do better in 2019!

Marly said...

What a delightful quilt; I especially like how you've framed the blocks and the border is such fun (I usually find borders boring extras!)

Rhonda said...

What a beautiful quilt and the backing fabric is perfect! Good luck on your goal this month.

Quilter Kathy said...

I agree with Rhonda... a perfect backing for this lovely quilt!

Sandra Walker said...

I love the backing you have for that wonderful quilt. It reminds me of one I picked up for my 2018 RSC quilt, and then when Dayna claimed it, and said a nice flannel backing would be so cuddly, out the window, well, ha onto the stash shelves, it went! I have a feeling I'll use it in short order though, never a shortage of rainbow quilts, right? Have you decided on this year's block? I can't remember if I read it if you have! Happy 2019 - you two sound like us but we didn't even quite make it until midnight, though I woke up about 10 min after!

Jennifer said...

Great back for that quilt (one of my favorites!). Hope you have time to get your goal completed this month!

thea said...

I love the backing. Is it a flannel or just cotton?
What a great idea -- one monthly goal. I could do that, right? Love the inverted stars. Was that your rainbow scrap challenge last year?

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

Great backing choice! good luck with your 2019 goal achievements