Monday, October 3, 2016

Weekend Stitching: Blooming Borders

It was a very nice weekend.  My Guy had a nice birthday celebration on Saturday and then we had a quiet, relaxing Sunday.  Laundry is caught up for the most part, so I was able to spend Sunday afternoon in the sewing room.  

There was bit of this and a bit of that under the needle this weekend.  The most obvious progress was the addition of the 2nd border to Blooms and Butterflies.


  Blooms and Butterflies
Bloom block by Lea Brummett, setting by Kate

A couple of red squares were finished as well, but that's not as obvious.  The blue on white polka dot border strips are ready to go on next.  Hopefully I'll get some time to stitch tonight. 

There was also some progress on the first set of Bejeweled Economy blocks.  


Bejeweled
From the book "All About Strips" by Susan Guzman

Just 4 more of the teal blocks to finish then I can start on the purple ones.  

In addition to spending some time in the sewing room, I played around a bit with the camera.  The Monarch's are making their way south and they've been keeping us company during dinner. 




There were three of them hanging about at dinner, but they weren't inclined to pose together.  We picked up a bouquet of flowers on Saturday and I spent some time practicing my macro photography skills.  







The last one is my favorite of the bunch.  

You can find more weekend progress reports over at:

Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Monday Design Wall

16 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your version of Bloom. Great photos

Mary said...

Love your photos of the Monarch and the dahlias. Good progress on your quilt.

Libby in TN said...

Nice progress on Blooms! What kind of camera do you use? The macrophotos are gorgeous.

Alison V. said...

Love your Bloom quilt! Is the Bejeweled quilt your new leader and ender project? I really like that turquoise print that you used. :)

Vic in NH said...

Love the quilt top's progress and those butterfly blocks are so dear!

Barbara said...

Beautiful photographs. We don't get monarchs here...we get the Shanta Swallowtails, which are almost the same, but not quite. Your Bloom quilt is so cute. Hoping I can do as well putting the leaves from the Block Lotto together...maybe next month.

Allison said...

What a lovely creative weekend. Your quilt is looking great and the photographs are beautiful. We are so fortunate to live in the age of digital photography.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Your "Blooms and Butterflies" quilt looks like you.....for some reason? I just imagine that is your type of quilt! LOL Love the photo of the monarch! Glad you had an enjoyable weekend!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Lots of progress this weekend! I love your macro photos - well done!

Kalicocreations said...

You are making good progress on your quilts! Your pictures are beautiful.
Terry

Katie Z. said...

I love the fabric and colors of your Bejeweled blocks! And the 30s prints looks beautiful in the pattern you chose.

Sandra Walker said...

You're doing a round robin too...or is it more a self round robin hmm what's that oh yes a medallion quilt I think! It's looking great. I took a great picture a while ago of a Monarch. I just love them! My grandson was so excited to see a few on his trip here a couple of weeks ago; we are on the migratory path here in southern Ontario but out west in Alberta they are not.

Rhonda said...

Great progress on your projects. The borders on your Bloom quilt look great. Beautiful photographs too!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Your quilt with the flowers in pots is gorgeous, Kate. Awesome nature photography, too, especially the monarch butterfly.

Bonnie said...

Where to begin.... yea for moving ahead on more than one project. And, omg, those photographs are beautiful. I can remember my grandfather's dahlias. His were gorgeous. And, now my cousin shares pictures of hers. Such beautiful pictures of your gorgeous flowers. Hope you can squeeze some more quilting time in soon.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Those sias blocks are a great color - one of my favs! And those flower pics are just stunning. :)