Sunday, January 7, 2024

Stitching Stuff: Week 1 of 2024



The first week of 2024 has been slow compared to the end of 2023.  That always seems to happen in January. We've all recovered from Covid. My Guy went back to work on Tuesday, Grad Girl will head back to Texas on Tuesday of this week.  So we're not quite back to status quo, but we're getting there. 

In terms of stitching time, I track my time by calendar year, so last Sunday was my last tracking day for 2023.  I exceeded my goal of 75% for 2023. 

  • 15 minute days in 2023 =  310/365
  • 2023 Success rate = 84.93%

So last year was a good one, especially when compared to 2022 when my stitching success rate was only 55.1%.  This year has gotten off to a good start.  

  • 15 minute days/week = 6/6 days
  • 15 minute days/Jan = 6/6 days
  • 15 minute days/2024 = 6/6 days
  • Success rate = 100%

So far so good. I usually do pretty well in January, we'll see if this year is typical.  

I didn't do much on the scrap/stash organization this week.  Instead, I helped Grad Girl with a few embroidery projects.  She raided my stash for the background fabric for her next project.  I gave her a cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter for Christmas last year, but she didn't really know how to use them. I forget that she just doesn't have a lot of experience with sewing machines and fabric.  So I gave her a tutorial on how to use the ruler and rules of thumbs for how to decide how much "extra" to allow for seams or centering.  Then I helped her finish off a bookmark for one of her college buddies. 

Grad Girl original design, wildflower bookmark


Grad Girl came up with the design on her own. These are wildflowers from every place this friend has lived since college. Grad Girl did a couple of other embroidered pieces to give as gifts for Christmas. 

Grad Girl: borrowed image, original colors and stitches


This was a bag for one of her high school buddies.  I'm not sure where she got the image, but she chose all the colors and stitches used.  She also finished a bag for her Aunt (my sister).


Grad Girl: image from Embroidery magazine, stitches modified


She found this gingerbread house featured in one of her embroidery magazines.  She did such a good job with this one that my sister thought she'd bought the bag with the design on it.  Grad Girl has only been doing embroidery for about 2 years, she is definitely more talented with it than I ever got.  




It's been nice to have her and Queenie home.  Both have given the couch quite a work out.  She heads back to grad school in Texas later this week. I'll definitely miss both of them. 

So how did your first week of 2024 go?  Did you get a good start on all your stitching ambitions for the year?  


1. Julie in GA
2. Gretchen
3. Karen
4. DonnaleeQ
5. Andrée at Quilting & Learning
6. Frédérique
7. Bonnie in Va
8. Dq at Dreamworthyquilts
9. Carol Andrews

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

10 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Grad Girl's embroidery pieces are beautiful! It is hard to believe that she hasn't been doing it for very long. Congrats on a perfect week for stitching time, a good way to start the year.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your daughter has some lovely embroidery projects lined up. It's always nice to have our daughters home for a while. Blessings!

Sara said...

Glad you're all on the mend from Covid. GG sure does beautiful embroidery, and one would never know she hasn't been doing this for decades.

Linda said...

Grad Girl is really talented, her embroidery is beautiful. And so is she! Queenie looks like a sweetheart.

dq said...

Grad girls workmanship, ideas, and creations are sincerely beautiful!
Sorry you had the dreaded covid, it is good you are feeling a little more like yourself.

It will be a little more quiet around your house once they go back to Texas.

Bonnie said...

It's always sad when the kids (our adult kids) go home after time at home. Grad girl looked pretty comfortable on the couch along with her friend. Her embroidery work is awesome. BTW - Is there a way to transfer your badge for 15 Minutes to Stitch to my blog? I'm on a Mac laptop and the copy and paste didn't work. Sigh.

Barbara said...

Wow! I’m really impressed with her embroidery work. Very nice. I’m so glad she enjoys it.

seabreezequilts said...

Grad Girl is developing great embroidery skills her satin stitch is very neat. Love the new logo

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Glad you are all recovering and getting back to status quo!!
Looks like Grad Girl is quite talented!!!!

Carol Andrews said...

What a great time you had with Grad Girl (in spite of you all being sick). She is a very talented needlewoman. Her pieces are lovely and I’m sure we’re favourite gifts for all of the recipients. Hope it’s not too lonely when she leaves. Glad your hubby was well enough to go back to work.