Monday, October 16, 2023

A Bit of Spring in Autumn

It's been a couple of weeks since I've written a Monday post.  Vacation was fun, but it was nice to be back home and spend most of the weekend in the sewing room.  Saturday afternoon Scrappy Butterflies (self designed) had the last of the border strips attached. It's now a finished quilt top. 




The butterfly blocks were started in 2013 as my second Rainbow Scrap project.  I couldn't decide on a setting, that's why these blocks have languished on the UFO list for so long.  It feels really good to get them into a finished top.  Scrappy Butterflies will be the next project to go out for quilting after Melodic Mystery.  I need to raid the stash for an appropriate backing fabric. That probably won't happen till next month.  

In yesterday's post I shared photos of the hiking parts of our trip. There were a couple of quilt shop stops during our trip as well.  I had to really watch my purchases as it all had to fit in the suitcases for the trip home. There is a wonderful quilt shop in Bend, OR,  The Quilt Basket.  I didn't take any photos of the shop, but it was well stocked with lots of fabrics not common in the shops around home.  I don't normally buy kits, but the fabrics in this one really appealed to me. 




The fabrics are from the fabric line Astra by Janet Clare for Moda.  My Guy has a minor in astronomy, so the fabrics seemed fitting.  I'm not sure if I'll use the fabrics to make the Taylored Stars or if I'll do something else with them.  

We drove back to Portland over the mountains and drove through Sisters, OR where we stopped at the Stitchin' Post.  Again, no pictures of the shop. They didn't have a lot of fabrics, but did have lots of patterns.  Considering how much fabric was in the kit and how much room it was going to take up in the suitcase, I contented myself with a fat quarter bundle. 




These are from the Vintage Garden line by Rifle Paper Co. for Cotton and Steel.  The deep greens and botanical prints were a great reminder of our hikes along the Columbia River gorge. 

Thankfully the house we stayed out had a very nice washer and dryer, so we didn't come home with a lot of dirty laundry, but I do need to go deal with a few loads of that this morning and a few other household chores.  Then the plan is to get back to the sewing room and decide on what is going on the to do list for next week.  

Linking up with Monday Design Wall, Patchwork & Quilts, and Oh Scrap.   

13 comments:

Linda said...

Your self-designed butterfly quilt is so, so pretty. Did you write a pattern or just sketch it out? Nice fabric haul!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm surprised the Stitching Post lacked a good variety of fabric - didn't they just have the outside show out in Oregon recently? maybe that was why

Bonnie said...

Sounds like the quilting part of your vacation was very satisfying. And, bummer on the suitcase restrictions but what you purchased looks wonderful. Hope you get back to quilting soon.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Scrappy Butterflies is wonderful!!
and that new quilt kit you got - I love it!!

Sara said...

The Taylored Star quilt kit is gorgeous! Those blue fabrics will be amazing in whatever you decide to use them in. Your vacation sounds great, and it a part of the country that is still on my bucket list.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your Scrappy Butterflies quilt top finished beautifully; congratulations on getting the top piecing finished! Sounds like a fun vacation, and it's always nice to come home with minimal laundry. I hope settling back in this week goes smoothly.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad you had some time to visit the quilt shops where you were vacationing - that's always fun! Looks like you found some great goodies to bring home, too. Your butterfly top is beautiful! I love that pretty blue - it lets the butterflies shine!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kate, I love your scrappy butterflies within those gentle blue blocks. They look great! It's nice to finally have a finish after all that time - and a finish that was worthy of them, not just done quickly to finish the project. I would say that it was worth the time it took. Enjoy your sewing room :-)

Barbara said...

The Scrappy Butterflies turned out absolutely gorgeous. Nice work. I like your fabrics. Those star fabrics are fun. I’ve been to both of those quilt shops.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh, Kate, your Scrappy Butterflies is so beautiful. It has been a joy to watch you work on it and I bet it feels good to have it all pieced. Well done. It sounds like you had a wonderful time on vacation. How exciting to get to visit quilt shops especially the Stitchin Post. Glad you found some goodies to bring home as well. Having a washer and dryer on vacation sure makes the "back home chores" a lot easier doesn't it? Have a great week.Hugs.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That's a great finish (top) on your UFO! Vacation sounds like it was a nice time, esp with some quilt shop visits!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hurray for the finish! The butterflies are so pretty, and I love this white and blue background.
Beautiful new blue, and green fabrics too, not easy to make choices when space is limited.
Thank you for sharing these beauties, and linking up!

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the finish of your butterfly quilt - it’s so soft and I really like your layout. Two great quilt shops, and love that pattern you got in the kit.