Sunday, October 15, 2023

Stitching Stuff: Weeks 38, 39 and 40


I really didn't mean to miss two weeks of stitching stuff posts.  I had connectivity issues just before we left on vacation. Then we had a pretty busy vacation in Oregon and I just never had time to sit down to write a post. We flew on Sunday and spent Monday driving the Columbia River Gorge.  One of our stops was at Bridal Veil Falls. 




We also stopped at Wahkeena Falls, but that one doesn't photograph very well.  From Wahkeena, we hiked over to Multnomah Falls. 



 

The falls and the associated hikes were all beautiful.  It was a bit cool and misty, but that makes for very saturated greens in the photos.  Just as we got to the car after the hike back from Multnomah falls, it started raining hard. We drove the rest of the way to Bend in the rain. 

We've been to Crater Lake before, but we stopped on the way to someplace else. This time we stayed for the day to hike several of the trails. 



 

The little island in the lake is known as the Shipwreck.  The water is really that deep, deep blue.  If it weren't for the rims, the sky would blend right into the water. If you've never been, it is definitely worth even a quick visit.  

Later in the week we ventured into Smith Rock state park. 



 

There is a hiking path down the gorge that runs from that first peak on the left to around the dark peak on the right, then back up to the top of the gorge rim. We didn't take the whole trail, as we were running low on water. It was over 80 F this day, so we went through a lot of water.  This park is mostly known to climbers. There were groups of climbers all over those peaks, but you can't really seem them in this photo. 

The first part of the trip had lots of hiking.  The day before we flew home, we had lunch with Barbara (of Cat Patches fame) and her guy, Mike.  (Barbara posted this photo last week just after our visit).



Barbara and I started our blogs just a few months apart back in 2010.  I found her Foto Finish Saturday linky party early that December and have followed her since.  It was a very fun lunch and nice to finally meet someone from blogland.  I forgot to ask about the kitties and Barbara said she meant to ask My Guy about his bread baking.    

So that's what I've been doing the last few weeks. Consequently my stitching time suffered quite a bit last week. 

  • 15 minute days/week 38 = 6/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Sept = 29/31 days
  • 15 minute days/week 39 = 2/7 days
  • 15 minute days/week 40 = 4/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Oct = 6/14 days
  • 15 minute days 2023 = 241/287 days
  • Success rate = 83.97%
My stitching time is still more than 75%, so far so good on that goal even with the vacation down time.  How did you do at finding time to stitch the last 3 weeks?  


1. Julie in GA
2. maggie f
3. Karen
4. Frédérique
5. DonnaleeQ
6. Quilting Gail
7. Shasta @ High Road Quilter
8. Andrée

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

13 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your trip to Oregon sounds fantastic! I lived in the southern part of the state back in the 1980's, and Crater Lake was one of my favorite places to visit. What fun for you to meet up with a blogger friend!

Libby in TN said...

We love Oregon, too, but have never been to Crater Lake. It's fun to meet other bloggers, if only in photos. I have to say, I've never pictured you and your guy like that!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't remember what waterfalls we saw but one year we went out there visiting and walked some trails that went to several waterfalls they were all so pretty.

Linda said...

All those falls and gorges and mountains - I'd be in heaven.
I love your hair! How long have you been growing it? We just had a discussion yesterday about hair. I've had short hair, with only a couple exceptions, for most of my life, and I've let it grow since 2021, so it's past shoulder length now. I told Hubs that I see cute shorter haircuts and sometimes wonder if I should get it cut shorter instead of just trimmed, but I love being able to pony-tail it, and I think it's easier to manage longer! He said then you should keep letting it grow! Seeing yours is my confirmation - lol!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You saw some beautiful sights in Oregon! We haven't been to Crater Lake yet, and I would like to go there. How fun to meet Barbara, too! I enjoy her blog and those kitties, too. Enjoy your sewing today, Kate!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I remember some places in Oregon that I have been visiting too. Gorgeous place, we loved it!

Quilting Gail said...

Loved reading about your Oregon trip!!!

Barbara said...

Looks like you had a great trip. You saw some of the best parts of Oregon. You were lucky to get to see the shipwreck. The Rim Drive around Crater Lake is only open about three months out of the year. We only saw it for the first time ourselves two years ago. It was great getting together.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow what beautiful scenery and photographs. I am glad you had a good vacation. It was great to see photos of you and Your Guy. I also follow Barbara's blog so it was nice to see it also.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! you saw some of the prettiest country!!!!!! The colors!! so inspiring - I'm so glad you had a great time!!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kate, what a wonderful trip! I love the terrain and the lake. I'm glad that you had too much fun to stitch or post. It's important to take time off, even from our favourite things... Welcome back!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such beautiful photos, Kate. The waterfalls look amazing. Did you hike all the way up to the bridge? I am so glad you were able to get away and enjoy nature. I bet you came home refreshed. Hugs.

Jennifer said...

What beautiful sights on your vacation! We didn’t get to Crater Lake and it is on the list for next time. So fun to meet a blogging friend too.