Monday, October 23, 2023

Design Wall Refresh

It was a warm weekend here, but I didn't enjoy it much.  My allergies really didn't like the warm up. I'm hoping we get some of the forecast rains sooner rather than later to knock back the pollen. I didn't spend a lot of time in the sewing room this weekend, but enough to make a bit of progress on the UFO next in line for assembly.  




All the blocks for Bonnie Hunter's 2021 mystery quilt along (Rhododendron) were finally finished back in January of this year. They've been sitting in a project box until we got back from vacation.

Bonnie used a thin sashing and pieced setting triangles to finish her version. I'm going to skip the pieced setting blocks, but keep the thin sashing. 




This is what's up on the design wall after yesterday.  I've cut the corner triangles, but still need to cut the end of row setting triangles.  Fingers crossed that happens today. Bonnie used corner stones in her sashing, I've not decided yet if I want to include them or not.  Keeping them would make assembly a little easier. 

I'm hoping to get Rhododendron to finished quilt top before Bonnie's 2023 mystery comes out.  That's definitely doable.  It probably won't be up for finishing till next year. I'm slowly whittling down my unfinished BH mysteries.  Just four more to go after this one (not counting this year's mystery).   

Linking up with Monday Design Wall and Patchwork & Quilts.  

14 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Good idea finishing one off before BH starts the next one! This is looking great!!!

Linda said...

I've missed seeing this quilt - I love it! Looking forward to seeing how it all goes together.

Sara said...

Rhododendron is looking awesome! I think the plain setting triangle will let the rest of the blocks shine even more. We had a beautiful warm fall weekend here, and I could tell my allergies were being triggered by all those rotting leaves.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like your quilt using purple instead of pinks! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I look at the pollen count on my phone and I don't know what was bothering me yesterday as it said it was low but I was sneezing and blowing my nose all day, also had nasal drainage in my throat that kept me coughing but it was the allergy type of symptoms not cold symptoms - most of us with allergies can tell if we have a cold or allergies and I could very much tell it was allergies

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The thin blue sashing is going to look really nice with the blocks. I agree that the cornerstones will make the row assembly go a bit smoother. I hope you get the row setting triangles cut out quickly and easily.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Rhododendron blocks look great all together on the wall! I like the thin sashing you're sewing on. Looks like the setting triangles are a fun fabric, too!

Nann said...

I like the intense contrast in your colorway.
Now that I think about it, Rhododendron Trail was the only BH quilt on display at the quilt show I went to last Friday. In previous shows there were always several versions of that particular year's mystery.
.......And in just a week we'll learn the Bonnie's colors for the new mystery.
P.S. Which ones are you planning to catch up on?

Barbara said...

Wow! I *love* that! It’s almost like an optical illusion. Can’t wait to see it all finished off.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

My allergies are waiting on the rain that should be here any minute but fortunately they really haven't been too bad for me since I've adjusted my diet. I think either way would work with the cornerstone issue but I do agree, they make the assembly easier. I hate trying to line up across the sashing--for some reason!? Looking good!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Sorry about your allergies, it may be the excuse to stay inside and sew ;) I love your Rhododendron blocks all together, what a beautiful contrast and effect! Great job finishing your UFO one after one.
Thank you for sharing your progress, and linking up!

time4stitchn said...

Love your colors for Rhododendron and I even like the setting without the lattice piecing. Good luck and the slow and steady progress to finish it in the next month...ish.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh I do hope you get some rain soon ; allergies are for the pits. Your Rhododendron quilt is looking amazing. I love the colors and the thin sashing will look fabulous. Enjoy working on this beauty.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a super cool desing wall!!!
heres to the allergies going away!