Monday, December 11, 2017

Weekend Stitching: Invisible Progress

It was a busy weekend.  Since my mother retired, I've tried to take a day off early in December so she, my sister, and I can all go Christmas shopping together.  My mother has mobility issues so she didn't want to go shopping, but I got to spend some fun time at the house hanging out.  My sister and I definitely made up for the shop till you drop part on Saturday.  On the way home, I took a detour to take the Scientist in Training out to dinner and give her a few hugs in preparation for finals week.  It was a nice way to spend the early part of the weekend.  

So the weekend stitching was pretty much limited to Sunday afternoon this week.  The last border strip has been added to En Provence (YEAH!), but it was so dark by that time, getting a decent picture was hard. It will probably be next weekend before there is time to get a nice photo of that finished flimsy.  With En Provence off the design wall there was room for the blocks for SITs Geek quilt.  Somehow I was one block short.  That's been fixed. The strips needed for setting the blocks have been cut and I got started on stitching the rows together.  Hopefully I can get this into finished flimsy stage before the SIT comes home this weekend.  If not, I'll have to make the sewing room off limits to her till I get it done. No photos of all this progress as the SIT reads my blog and the quilt is a surprise, at this point for her birthday rather than Christmas.   

The Geek quilt is my number one priority for the next week, but I did take some time to cut the pieces for the next step of Bonnie's On Ringo Lake mystery.  


Only one pair got finished, but I'll have time this week to knock out a few more before the next clue comes out. Here's what clue one looks like:


And here's clue two:


My version will be 3/4 size. Even with the reduced number of units, I've not finished a clue yet.  But I'm following Bonnie's advice to make some of each unit even if the previous units aren't all done.  There should be more time for catching up later this week and next week. I'm also hoping to get caught up on emails and blog reading over the next week.  Between holiday prep, family time and work, finding time to respond to email and read blogs has been at a premium the last couple of weeks. 

Linking up with the usual Monday posts.

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Linky
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Monday Design Wall

12 comments:

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Sounds like a nice weekend Kate. Congrats on finishing up En Provence! I hope you get in some good sewing time this week. :)

Alison V. said...

Your units look great! I found that this week's units went much faster than the flying geese! Good luck!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate,
Family takes precedence at this time of year for sure! It sounds like you had a fun time with your mom and sister. I think you have a nice start On Ringo Lake - at least you have some of each of the clue made, and you can always catch up as time prevails. I am sure that just about everyone is in your same boat with Christmas only two weeks away! ~smile~ Roseanne

Jayne said...

You are plugging along with the Mystery quilt and I'm sure after the holidays you will have plenty of time to catch up! I can't remember the last time I did a 'shop 'til you drop' shopping trip!!

Vesuviusmama said...

I'm trying to be disciplined about the mystery quilt - my first attempt although I've read about them every year - but it's such a different way to make a quilt for me. Usually, I make a block, then another, then more until I have enough for a row or two, put those together, then make more blocks, etc. I've never cut all pieces before sewing before.

Marti said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Good luck to SIT during finals week also.

Louise said...

Good job on getting the last borders on En Provence! Woo hoo!

Angie in SoCal said...

It's good to spend time with family, especially at this time of year. Look forward to seeing your flimsy - I have mine to sew together. Merry Christmas.

thea said...

Good luck to SIT -- though by now she's probably mostly done. Sounds like you had a fun but hectic weekend.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Sometimes there are more important things in your life than sewing, sounds like your weekend was wonderful.

Jennifer said...

It still sounds like a lot of progress to me! Hope you’ve had a chance for some stitching time this week.

Kristin said...

I'm falling behind on the Quiltville Mystery Quilt, too. I have Clue 1 and 2 complete, a tiny bit of 3 started and nothing done on Clue 4 yet. I have a late night sew party next Friday and hope to get a lot done there!