Wednesday, December 27, 2017

2018 Quilting Ambitions

As the year winds down, it's just natural to start considering plans for next year.  Yvonne's 2018 Planning Party gives bloggers a great opportunity to share ambitions the upcoming year.  I played along last year.  Here's how this year worked out and what the ambitions are for 2018.  


2018 Planning Party

This past year has been productive on a couple of fronts and less so on others.  The biggest accomplishment was finishing seven quilts this year, that ties my all time best.  Plus there was some progress on each of the twelve quilts on my 2017 quilt plan.  Finding time to sew each day was another area of success.  But, managing the stash didn't go so hot this year.  Considering the success and failures for 2017, should I be doing something different for 2018?  

It's obvious from this last year that getting to the sewing room and setting priorities on what happens when I get there makes a huge difference in what gets done.  So do the 2018 ambitions focus on what worked this year or do I set a higher priority on the areas that didn't go so hot?   

Here's what I finally decided should be the focus for 2018. 

1.  Shorten the UFO list.  I've been holding at 17 UFOs for the last three years. 



It's not the same quilts on the list, a few come off, but others go on. I'd like to have no more than 10 quilts on the UFO list by the end of 2018. 

2.  Participate in select quilt along/mysteries. As much as I want to reduce the UFO list, not starting new projects just takes the joy out of the sewing room.  But I'll limit my participation to just three with the intent that all of them will pull from existing stash (see ambition 4).



3. Find 15 minutes to stitch each day. I did really well at this in 2017 and it showed in the project progress.  It will be a challenge to do as well with this in 2018.  One change I'm going to try for 2018 is to spend the first 15 minutes (maybe the only 15 minutes)  on that month's priority project.  Hopefully that will help meet ambition number 1.   

4.   Stash Management/Organization.  This is my number one challenge each year.  I like fabric, but I'm really out of storage space, so the incoming needs to slow down for a bit. 
  • Limit purchases to no more than 5 yards a quarter
  • Spend 30 minutes each week organizing the sewing room                and the stash
  •  Any new projects have to use stash fabrics only
  • Pick blocks for this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge that use scraps that are already cut to size. 
5.  Blog at least once a week.  My blog activity took a big nose dive after I switched positions back in June.  It doesn't look like things will be any better in 2018, so I'm going to scale back my blogging ambitions until I can figure out how to get in both my sewing and personal computer time when I've often got "homework"  in the evening and on weekends.  

Not the most original set of ambitions, but I really want to get that UFO list whitted down. Well that and I want to use up some stash.  If I can make both of those things happen in 2018, I'll count it an excellent year.  

You can check out all the other 2018 quilty ambitions posted over at Quilting Jetgirl

9 comments:

Dar said...

I'd say you did a great job in defining and re-organizing your areas of concentrations for 2018. I haven't done any lists yet, but will try and do that before the end of the week.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sometimes you have to limit the list, as you have done with your goals. Quilting should be fun!!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Thank you so much for sharing and linking up. I hope that you have a peaceful 2018 and that the 15 minutes a day adds up to a lot of fun creativity and finishes.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Your 15 minutes a day of sewing worked really well for you this year. I'm sure you'll do well toward your goal of paring down the UFOs; you seem to have a knack for prioritizing and focusing. I'm looking forward to following your progress and seeing your finishes. Happy New Year!

Louise said...

Your fifteen minutes a day goal was an excellent goal! I think a certain number of UFOs will always hang around, but can see how 17 would feel like a lot. I store mine on hangers behind a door that latches open. When the latch gets too tight, then I know I have too many :)

I've enjoyed following your journey in 2017, and look forward to more great quilts from you in 2018!

Marti said...

Good ideas and goals for the coming year. I especially like the one about picking blocks for scraps that are already cut to size. I am going to try to implement your 15 minutes a day this year and stick to it. I miss your check-in, but I will make myself accountable for it.

Jennifer said...

This is a great list Kate - I’ve been thinking on my goals for 2018 too.

Cheryl said...

Great goals for 2018, I really enjoying seeing your progression and progress through your projects. Happy New Year!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Ih I do like your goals, shorten the UFO list? I'm with you there, and I especially like the 30 minutes a week organising the sewing room/stash, although it would take me longer than that just to tidy mine! Once a week blogging works great for me too, more than that means less time for stitching. Good luck with your goals and I look forward to reading all about your progress. Happy New Year!