Thursday, February 17, 2011

Favorite Things Firday - Feb 18th

What a weird week.  Last Thursday the temperatures in Oklahoma reached record lows, -29 F (-34 C).  The high for this Thursday afternoon was 80 F (26 C).  Guess there is something to that old saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour or two and it will change".  

On to more interesting topics then the weather, like Favorite Things Friday.  I've caught a bit of grief from my family that I don't blog more about them.  Especially on the weekly Favorite Thing Friday blogs.  I suppose it is my own fault, I do tell both my guy and kiddo that they are my top two favorite things of all time (Of course kiddo has to ask, "But which one of us is number one?")  To be honest, I didn't think they'd want me writing about the entertaining (embarrassing?) antics that go on in this household on a regular basis.  So in order to save face (and gain some peace), I'm going to share one of my favorite things about kiddo, her writing.  Feel free to jump to the end if you want to be spared the "proud mama" stuff that follows. 

Kiddo started her first book when she was 4 or 5.  It was called "Super Unicorn".  


Super Unicorn by Kiddo In Pieces

She couldn't really write at that point, but she carried around a stack of papers for several weeks and told us all about the exploits of Super Unicorn.  There have been a couple of other book efforts, one from 2nd or 3rd grade written by Kiddo and illustrated by her best friend, which was originally titled "The Adventures of Kiddo and Her Best Friend" (the names have been changed to protect the guilty).  

This is one of my favorite pieces.  Kiddo started swimming as part of the local team in 2009 and last spring started going to meets.   

Swim
by Kiddo In Pieces
Your breathing increases as you walk and stand in front of the block. Your mind goes different places trying to relax but it always goes back to what you are going to do.  The person in front of you finishes, you take in a deep breath hoping to ease that twist in the pit of your stomach.  Your hands grip the sides of the block tightly until a long whistle is blown.  You ease yourself onto the block slow enough to not slip but fast enough to position yourself before the moment. "Take your mark." a voice says. You grab the edge of the block barely holding on. The word "Go!" comes into your ears and you push off. For a moment of complete silence you feel as if you are flying hundreds of feet above the earth but quickly come back to reality.  Your fingers break the water's surface and the words  Swim hard and don't stop”   come to mind.  And as the rest of your body follows you feel as if you belong to the water.

You'd never know all this goes through her head from watching her, she always looks so calm and cool before her events.   

Kiddo getting ready to swim

Another family favorite originated on the way home after the first day of school.   Kiddo was describing how her brain had shut down and was struggling to restart, complete with sound effects, which eventually morphed into this bit of visual literature. 


Brain Waves by Kiddo In Pieces
 
Thanks for letting me share one of my favorite things about kiddo. 

The "proud mama stuff" is over, so you are safe if you wanted to skip that part.   For more favorite things, check out Mrs P. over at Quilting in My Pyjamas. 

8 comments:

seabreezequilts said...

From the mouths or the pens of babes.

Kate said...

Last Thursday, we broke the record for coldest day (-23) in February. Yesterday, we broke the record for hottest day (83.) That was a 100-degree weather change in a week!

I love your daughter's piece about swimming. I haven't swam in almost 15 years but I could visualize everything immediately from her words. :)

Michelle said...

There is nothing more awesome than family. Wonderful post!

(And weren't those temps last week awful? I've got family in Newton, KS)

Shay said...

I think kiddo has the makings of a writer Kate.

Loved the proud Mama post. Terrific FTF - When can we expect to see Mr. Kate featured?

We also has weird weather this week. Blazingly hot for some of the week and biggest February rainfall yesterday since 1974. Go figure.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I love her writings, all of them! Her swim post brought me back to my own HS swim days. (I was a distance girl, not a sprinter so my thoughts were a bit more strategic but I felt the weight of her words, for sure.)

I think the brain one is funny and I hope she continues writing. She's got talent.

Good FTF/proud mama post.

Elizabeth said...

Anyone who skipped the proud Mama part missed out on a really great post. Loved it! Your daughter is really great at expressing herself. Thanks for sharing!

xo -El

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Wow, I was really there! That is a talent your kiddo has got! My boys love making comics and telling stories. My youngest teacher says she will be looking out for his books when he is older (he has a rather over active imagination) LOL about the brain noises, Cullen said once he has a computer in his head and he uses a mouse to keep on track :-)

Such extreme temperatures, you wouldn't know if you were coming or going!!

Marg said...

Kiddo's writing is great. I would definitely be posting how proud I was of her if I was her mom. Wonderful post.