Monday, April 4, 2022

Not Quite the End of Unity

Saturday was pretty much a nothing but sewing day. A treat to myself since I may not get another chance to do that till May.  Sunday was laundry and taxes. (Is there a worse combination of chores?)  But those chores were finished early enough that I was still able to work in a few hours of stitching in the afternoon.  

The goal on Saturday was to finish adding the borders to Unity.  

Unity: Bonnie Hunter 2020 Sew in Place Quilt Along


I'm happy with how this project worked out.  My version differs from Bonnie's original instructions in a few places. The black border around the center block is made from the background fabric in Bonnie's version.  My friendship star border has the corner triangles in a different spot, so mine don't have the pinwheel look. Plus I used a completely different block in next to last pieced border.  So maybe this project should be called Parts of Unity?  

Next step is to figure out what the backing will be, get that sewn, then clean up the quilt back. That's going to be a chore as the background fabric unraveled badly. I'm hoping there is time to work that this month, we'll have to see how much time work suck up the next couple of weeks. 

19 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your Unity top looks wonderful! Congratulations on this amazing finish, and I hope you have the time to get it prepped for quilting in the coming weeks.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful version of Unity!!! It's hanging nice and flat.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks wonderful it turned out really great

Sara said...

I love it! This is still very much identifiable as Unity, but your subtle changes are just terrific. Great job!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your version of Unity, Kate! The center block change that you made gives it a neat frame. Really love the colors you chose, too. Congratulations on getting it to the finished quilt top stage!

Nann said...

Your design changes make the quilt your own! The lime (Lime-ish?) border sets off the black/neutral perfectly.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kate, your Unity quilt top is gorgeous and now includes some of your own design. That's terrific! I'm so glad that you got to spend some quality time in the sewing room. It's so important to our sanity! Take care.

Barbara said...

It looks fantastic. The green border was a great choice. It looks to be a very large quilt.

Bonnie said...

Congrats on finish your top. It looks great the way you made it. I sure hope you can squeeze some time and energy for some studio time.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Congratulations on getting Unity (or Parts of Unity) finished! It looks great. I hope you'll find time to get it prepped and ready to ship for quilting this month.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love the greens. Wishing you a very productive and lovely week.

Rebecca Grace said...

The only combo worse than laundry and taxes would have to be scrubbing something moldy and taxes! Your Unity top looks fantastic. Congratulations!!

Ivani said...

I love your version of Unity, Kate. It is beautiful.
I saved all the installment, but unfortunately the pdf file got corrupted and I lost most of the instructions.

Kim said...

I suppose it doesn't get much worse than laundry and taxes. =) Though, the rest of the day looked as if it was a lot more enjoyable. What an amazing quilt your "Parts of Unity" is. Such fabulous piecing and the colour combinations are lovely.

Dorothy said...

My "Unity" ended up being 3 quilts. Which is what a lot of Bonnie's quilts end up with me. I start with her "start", go as far as I need it to be, and then re-start until that "re-start" is as big as I need it to be, etc. etc.
Bonnie's quilts are just too big for someone only 5'2" :-) :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its beautiful!!! And yay to have a day for you - you need it!
Plus laundry and taxes - Blech!

Quiltpiecer said...

I love the color combo in your Unity quilt top. I really like the different block you used on your border. I stayed with Bonnie's version and just finished quilting mine this week. Yours is lovely.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

wow, the green border adds a wonderful new touch, ans "Parts of Unity" is beautiful! Congratulations, now the not so fun job is coming, but it's still part of 15 minutes stitching ;)
Thank you for sharing your lovely flimsy, and linking up!

Jennifer said...

The top really looks great Kate!